G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MLS fountain of knowledge

I have done my homework by doing a search thru the MLS Archive stacks.
So now it time to get out of the darkness and back into the sunshine.

FYI - I have a FLAT elevated dual main line loops of 140' of 20'diam SS track.:rolleyes:
          I took over the Mrs. garden space (with HER permission)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

USA GG1 owners - Are you glad/sad that you have a hernia from the 90 lb box?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif
Any problems/concerns/want-2-sell-it issues that your willing to share here?:mad:

How much room is inside the cab?
Have you removed the QSI electronics an installed your own/dcs/rcs/te/etc?
Have you upgraded the QSI firmware to V7 chipset?

The_Other_Ray

G

·
0 Posts
Mine has run flawless for about a year now with the installed QSI, haven't had any issues at all. just a dam fine engine is all i can say./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Nick

G

·
0 Posts
Now come on you Grumpy farts i can't be the only one that owns this loco???:D
Nick...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nick,

You might be one of the few!  I checked, and I still don't have one.  This is another case of "I wish USA had made these out of plastic" for me.  I think both LGB and USA missed most of the potential market by making it out of metal instead of plastic.  Its too bad that the MTH GG1 is going to be too small for the rest of my trains (plus their proprietary control and sound).  

However, from what I have seen, this is a nice looking, well made locomotive.  

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Mark,
I wish  i new some of the guys who have the layouts at eclsts because i woud love to bring it and run it, but i don't know any of the the club members, i also wouln't mind bringing my 14 car usa nyc passenger set with either my 2 hudsons or my 3 f-3's abb units, impressive looking train, i also heard Tom H.  is bringing his 50 cars csx coal train how cool wood it look with my 50 also!!!!! 100 CAR COAL TRAIN OUTSTANDING I'D SAY../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Nick

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
One of the members of the CCTGG has the USA GG1 and has run it on another groups layout at the Amherst Show in Springfield. I don't know anyone else who owns one. I agree with Mark that if either USA or LGB had made them in plastic they would have sold lots more.
LAO

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I have the USA green five stripe and being a steam type of guy it suprised me how much i have enjoyed the GG1 and would recommend it as a good buy.

Chillicharlie

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ray,

I use straight track power, controlling with an aristo TE.  Have to keep it in Linear mode due to my two LGB sound units. 

Mark

PS - Stay away from me, you DCS pusher!! You're as bad as the RS-3 Conspiracy or the Battery Mafia!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif (DCS Pusher?  Maybe we can come up with something better than that...)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
You cany go wrong with this engineI had gotten one when they first came out although not to much run time its a 1St class runner like all of USa engines,It will pull anything you throw at it
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have had mine since they first hit the shelves, my all time favorate loco. It still is pure stock and the only thing I changed is the V-Max and Throttle Mode settings on the QSI. Very happy with it. Nick Jr

G

·
0 Posts
Ray,
Ive now seen LGB, MTH and USA'S GG-1, all i can say is you will NOT be dissapointed if you get the USA version, a bit more than the MTH version but well worth the investment. out of all 3 the nicest in my opionion...
Nick

·
Super Modulator
20,770 Posts
I do not have one, but having a pivoting pilot like a postwar lionel loco would spoil it for me, and I believe the MTH and the LGB have them. Of course if you really wanted a GG-1 and had tight curves, you might have to compromise.

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Yup Greg,
The MTH and LGB version will go on tighter curves, i tried mine on 10ft dia and it went with no problems. i just like the real look of the USA version. all in all nicely done...

Nick...

G

·
0 Posts
Ray,
I didnt even notice you were from Mass, why dont you pop over to charlies and ask if they have any scatch or dents sales on any GG-1's, i know a few people who have gotten a really sweet deal if you didnt mind touching up a few scatchs on there steamers!!!! just a thought.. by the way i put a small nick in mine putting it away in the wood box... i really pissed myself off that day

Nick

·
Super Modulator
20,770 Posts
Yahoo! I learn something every day!

Well, that settles the prototypical appearance question. So, from all the comments I have heard, why rag on MTH and LGB? Did they just not do as good an appearance job? Or is it that they were often photographed on tighter curves?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
ChiliCharlie
What is this about a live steam guy and GG1, sounds very familiar