G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I have tried both fuels in both of my engines. In my Ruby especially I feel straight butane performs better. Probably because it reacts more and developed more pressure with the heat from the boiler. The blended fuel seems to not increase performance with heat...

I have never had a safety valve pop off without stopping the engine. I have seen the difference in pressure production between upper and lower water levels.

Based on your description of your sight glass performance, I have a good one.

· Registered
582 Posts
RioGrandeFan, I would definitely keep water in the glass above the top of the firebox, which looking at the pics here it is about the top of the bottom nut on the water gauge glass. If it falls well below the level of the firebox that would probably lead to distortion of the firebox.
For setting the water pump by pass when running try to get a constant water level somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 level showing the water glass and when stopped keep an eye on the level and use the hand pump.
Many operators often forget the water gets low very quickly when stationary and think it will get back up in the glass when they start running again.
Russell

61 - 65 of 65 Posts