G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
Last year I bought a digitally printed small critter (small UK yard switcher) which will be battery powered. I have the motor and batteries and now need to select the necessary bits to control the motor (fwd/stop/rev) as well as speed control each direction. There's not much room inside the engine housing where the batteries will be located so may have to pull a small car behind to carry the controls but don't know at this point.
Anyway, I have no experience with R/C so am looking for recommendations for brands that will perform as described above. That would also include a hand-held controller which, ideally, could be recharged in a 110 VAC wall outlet.
Ok, I'm open to suggestions so let 'em roll.
Thanks-
Robin

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use one FlySky 6 channel for all my toys. Trains, electric and steam boats and a plane. In the boats and trains i use 3 channel receivers. 1 for power, 2 for rudder (boats) and 3 is electronic switch for lights. When I get a new toy I just need a receiver, ESC and battery. Down side is only 1 train at a time. Of course if you're into all the bells and whistles...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Thanks Greg, I'll check that one out. I particularly like "simple & cheap".
2. The FlySky 6 sounds like it might be overkill for what I need but I'll take a look. Thanks Exador.
3. Good question Paul. Since I don't have a clue as to what these items might cost, then I'll throw out "$200.00" for handheld transmitter and receiver/control. I might be way off base as to what these items might cost but have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The FlySky 4 channel is about $45 the ESC $10 and the switch is $3. At first I used 2 - 18650 batteries but turned to the 12v and 18v Harbor Freight tool batteries. Prices have been rising on this stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
The FlySky 4 channel is about $45
I have a similar philosophy but I use DSM2 receivers so I have a choice of vendors, including some really small RX from China. My TX is an RCS unit with knobs instead of sticks, which are more convenient and the unit is much smaller. It works all my live steamers and most of my electric locos.

However, the Piko remote control does look interesting. . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello-
Last year I bought a digitally printed small critter (small UK yard switcher) which will be battery powered. I have the motor and batteries and now need to select the necessary bits to control the motor (fwd/stop/rev) as well as speed control each direction. There's not much room inside the engine housing where the batteries will be located so may have to pull a small car behind to carry the controls but don't know at this point.
Anyway, I have no experience with R/C so am looking for recommendations for brands that will perform as described above. That would also include a hand-held controller which, ideally, could be recharged in a 110 VAC wall outlet.
Ok, I'm open to suggestions so let 'em roll.
Thanks-
Robin
If you need something small check out Loco Remote Wifi control for Garden Railways. Their controls are small!!. I have an IP Engineering Hudson Skip Loco to which I want to add R/C and am considering the locoremote mini B with a 1S Lipo battery. They should both fit in the skip. See Loco Remote. Good luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
The Piko remote is simple and cheap.

Greg
I use the Piko remote on a small electric Bachmann tank engine that I use to pull rolling stock from my shed to the track for connection to live steam. I converted the engine to battery and use the Piko remote for control it works well although the range is rather less than advertised. It is about $90. A cheaper solution may be to buy a train set such as https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contr...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl Throw away the train and repurpose the remote.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, this is the one I chose to go with and it is testing well.

I can use same battery power for the remote electronics as well as for the motor (don't know if that's normal as I don't have any experience with this). So we'll see once I get the tracks running to the old slate mine:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.
Robin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts