G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post on these forums.

I would like to modify my LGB 0-4-0 Porter to have a wooden cab, but I haven't done anything like that before and would like advice on how to build it properly.

I don't want it to be permanently attached, screws through the original floor holes will be fine. I'd also like it to be strong enough to lift the loco if possible.

I also want to stain the wood, what's the best way to apply it at this scale and should I do that before or after it's assembled?

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I haven't made one from scratch, but I have made and modified several wooden cab kits. Most use thin plywood with layers of wood (bass or balsa, depending on how much grain you want.) Once you have a side shape in plywood, you can add the wood as the prototype did - uprights, cross-pieces, etc.

Being strong enough to lift the loco suggests you'll be reinforcing the corners, especially under the edges of the roof. You will need similar reinforcement at the bottom for the screws. 1/4" basswood should do the job.

Stain in this scale is the same as in any scale. Just spray or brush it on. However, think about the finish you want. The prototype had beautifully sanded wood and the stain went on and looked like a classic boat. Often plywood or balsa has grain and it needs to be very well sanded to get the same look.
Most people apply the finish after assembly. Make sure your wood glue doesn't get on the outside, or the stain will make it obvious.

This cab was a kit that was reduced in length.

Train Wheel Vehicle Plant Nature

Here's a closeup of the layers at the back of the cab:

Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Machine

Here's some info on full size cab finishes:
Fit and Finish of Mammoth Locomotive Works |

And here's a real new-build locomotive with a new cab:

(CLick on it to see it full size.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just wanted to add - start with light stain. You can do multiple coats to darken. Also, use Tru Oil (Amazon) for a hand rubbed look. Do 6-8 rubbed coats with 500 grit inbetween. Let it dry overnight between coats.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Wood Toy Motor vehicle Rolling Wheel

I did this one out of ply and bass wood bead board and wooden strips. It attachs to the floor. As Pete said, it can be made of any kind of wood. I bought the thin ply from Ace hardware a long time ago.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oooohhh, i like the wood cladding solution. Nice bogie!
me, i added cherry wood paneling to my plastic cabs below the windows, one with inlay where the molded panels are ( i removed the plastic so it would be flush), another with wainscoting on the entire lower section

·
Registered
147 Posts
That looks excellent! Nice job. For a box cab roof it did, I used 1 ply of TP and thick matte black paint. I was trying for the rubber painted canvas over wood look. I'm wondering if this model is suppose to have a metal cab roof? If so, that would be inch thick metal and out of scale. Not trying to be a wise a**, just curious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts