G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Just got off the phone with the ISP. They identified another customer's server that had been compromised and was being used to launch a DOS attack against some other site. They've shut it down till the compromise has been fixed. Everything should be back to normal now.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Shad,

It WAS very slow yesterday and early this morning. However, it seems to be running great for the past hour. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By ShadsTrains on 10 May 2011 10:17 AM
Just got off the phone with the ISP. They identified another customer's server that had been compromised and was being used to launch a DOS attack against some other site. They've shut it down till the compromise has been fixed. Everything should be back to normal now.

hee hee... sorry, I have to clarify something for others that might be as confused as I was when I first read your reply.... Namely, why would anyone launch a "DOS" attack... that operatring system hasn't been in general use for years and years, and I doubt, even if it is still in use, that it would have much to do with the internet...

Oops... I am thinking "Disk Operating System"...

What it means in today's parlance is "Denial Of Service"... Which is where a computer starts making millions of requests to one particular web address which bogs that server down responding to them, such that other users' legitimate requests are slowed to a crawl.

ACRONYM = "A Coded Rendition Of Names Yielding Meaning"
ACRONYMS = "A Coded Rendition Of Names Yielding Meaning Sometimes"

21 - 23 of 23 Posts