G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back a week ago from a visit with my brother in Phoenix (Texas Eagle going, Southwest Chief coming back). The previous Sunday he and I visited the Adobe Mountain Desert Railroad Park. We could not have been more impressed!

Took in the HO and N scale layouts; talked with the "curator" (can't recall his name) and was invited to grab some old magazines from their giveaway stack. I happened to pick up a 1993 issue of Garden Railways - a lot of info still useful after all these years! Then outside to the 15-inch gauge facilities. My bro's not much into trains (likes to refurbish MGBs, Harleys and small planes for fun), but we both treasure the American Flyer layout we had as kids (I have custody). We were both amazed and impressed with the size and scope of the construction that happens inside all those containers disguised as a wild west town. Normally I wouldn't bother to go for a two-minute train ride, but their two mile route was something we both were glad we didn't miss. We were more than happy to toss some $$ into the jar at the end. That is one impressive operation.

Unfortunately for me, the G scale layout was sitting nearby with no full-size humans in evidence. I'd have had a dozen questions if someone had been there.

Since I work for a non-profit that is mostly volunteer-operated, I know how tough it is to motivate people to put in their time for free. The work that they've done so far is seriously impressive; I couldn't help envision the possibilities the park has. Not Disneyland yet, but certainly a must-see for railfans visiting Phoenix.

Kudos to the Adobe Mountain Desert Railroad Park (within the Maricopa County Adobe Dam Regional Park, 22822 N. 43rd Avenue). High point of my vacation, although riding the new light rail was cool, too.

·
Vendor
3,319 Posts
Posted By JackM on 06 Feb 2010 04:48 PM
Unfortunately for me, the G scale layout was sitting nearby with no full-size humans in evidence. I'd have had a dozen questions if someone had been there.

Fire away and we'll see how many we can answer.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, the moment has passed. Nothing specific that I can bring up right now.

Anyway, now that I'm back in reality-land I've gotta get something decided about that stuff I need from you. A couple weeks and we get into March thaw and suddenly I'm laying down new track outside. I hope.

·
Vendor
3,319 Posts
Posted By JackM on 06 Feb 2010 05:26 PM

Anyway, now that I'm back in reality-land I've gotta get something decided about that stuff I need from you. A couple weeks and we get into March thaw and suddenly I'm laying down new track outside. I hope.

Not a problem. If you can think of anything specific, just holler and we'll see if we can't get them answered.

Just remember when laying track, the ties go down....

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By Stan Cedarleaf on 06 Feb 2010 06:11 PM
Posted By JackM on 06 Feb 2010 05:26 PM

Not a problem. If you can think of anything specific, just holler and we'll see if we can't get them answered.

Just remember when laying track, the ties go down....

Ties are those wooden looking thingys

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I did not see a state in your profile, but your always welcome to visit here. In Sept, 4th weekend is an open house and folks can get almost any Qs answered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts