G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Last weekend my girlfriend and I were watching TV, when they advertised the release of the movie "3:10 to Yuma", coming to DVD.  She commented on the scene with the train at the station.  She decided she wanted to see that movie, if only for the train.  I said what if the movie only had 5 minutes of trains, that would be kinda disapointing?  Though, from the title, I'd imagine there would be at least 10 minutes of trains.  BTW, she loves the older trains, as she says, "The ones with the big stacks, and the cowcatchers".

So, here is the question.  What are some of the best movies with trains?  I'm thinking she and I might have to spend the rest of the winter curled up with a few "Train Movies" while waiting for the weather to warm enough to get back to working outside.

Yes, I saw there is another topic going right now re: Runaway Train.  That got Me thinking about other movies.  So, taking some from the other post, and adding a few more, here we go.

Emperor of the North
Runaway Train
The Train
Silver Streak
Tough Guys
Murder on the Orient Express
Casandra Crossing
Von Ryan's Express

Any others, please add them to the list.  I'm sure there are going to be a few additions where I'm gonna smash my forehead saying, "Duh, I should have remembered that one."

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Some good, some bad, some REALLY ugly, some feature the trains, others just had memorable train scenes: Ticket to Tomahawk...Where the ****'s That Gold?...Legend of the Lone Ranger...Bite the Bullet...Around the World in 80 days (1956 version)...Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...The Denver and Rio Grande...Shoot Out.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I can think of at least a couple of vintage B & W ones -

"Broadway Limited", a comedy starring the 1938 streamlined torpedo K4s Pacific #3768/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif & D16sb class 4-4-0 #1223 (which previously ran at Strasburg & is now in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania:cool: there).

You mentioned "Silver Streak" - I'm assuming your'e talking the modern one starring Gene Wilder & "AMROAD" (thinly disguised CP!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif), with the FP-7 powered train crashing /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif into "Chicago (er, MONTREAL!) Union Station! - But are you aware that there was ANOTHER movie named "Silver Streak" starring the ORIGINAL Burlington "Zephr"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif diesel streamliner?

"Danger Lights", filmed on the Milwaukee Road; one of it's highlights is a railroad "company picnic" "tug-of-war"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif between a Mikado & Pacific (on greased rails/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif!).

Cecil B. Demille's "Union Pacific" is another vintage one (haven't seen it in years & don't remember too much of it, other than a train wreck/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif caused by maurauding Indians toppling a water tank/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif onto a passing 4-4-0- powered train!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif).

I'm sure there's others, those are jus a few that came to me "spur of the moment"!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif                 Tom

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Without a doubt:

The General with Buster Keaton.

Posted By CapeCodSteam on 01/11/2008 12:24 AM
Greetings,

Last weekend my girlfriend and I were watching TV, when they advertised the release of the movie "3:10 to Yuma", coming to DVD.  She commented on the scene with the train at the station.  She decided she wanted to see that movie, if only for the train.  I said what if the movie only had 5 minutes of trains, that would be kinda disapointing?  Though, from the title, I'd imagine there would be at least 10 minutes of trains.  BTW, she loves the older trains, as she says, "The ones with the big stacks, and the cowcatchers".

So, here is the question.  What are some of the best movies with trains?  I'm thinking she and I might have to spend the rest of the winter curled up with a few "Train Movies" while waiting for the weather to warm enough to get back to working outside.

Yes, I saw there is another topic going right now re: Runaway Train.  That got Me thinking about other movies.  So, taking some from the other post, and adding a few more, here we go.

Emperor of the North
Runaway Train
The Train
Silver Streak
Tough Guys
Murder on the Orient Express
Casandra Crossing
Von Ryan's Express

Any others, please add them to the list.  I'm sure there are going to be a few additions where I'm gonna smash my forehead saying, "Duh, I should have remembered that one."

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's very hard to find, I only seen it on TV . But (God's country and the woman), has a lot of shay and logging in it.
I thing that's the name of it. I did manage to get part of it recorded.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
RE: Adding to list of "Train Movies"

Don't forget Wild Wild West, the recent one with Will Smith. Has some great scenes featuring the William Mason all dressed up as "The Wanderer". Great way to see the oldest operating steam engine in the US and 2nd oldest in the world high stepping it at about 35 mph. Of course as one of its current engineers I guess I am a little biased.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts

"Once Upon A Time in the West" has lots of steam trains. It's a spaghetti western, so the trains are Italian made up to look like American, but they are still steam locomotives. It's also one of my favorite westerns - Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, and Claudia Cardinelli (woohoo!!).

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts

"Twentieth Century" with John Barrymore and Carol Lombard. I'll never forget seeing the stage musical version on Broadway, with trains crossing onstage (must have been 3/4" scale models, or similar.) Plus the memorable set where a full-size loco front rushes out of the backdrop towards the audience. Ah, what memories.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

I cant beleive no one mentioned this one, probably the best train movie ever made!

The General, Buster Keaton

The Train, Burt Lancaster is tremendous, also add Buster's other train film, Our Hospitality

BTW I absolutely loathed Cassandra Crossing, it made Under Siege 2 look like Gone with the Wind/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
"It Happened to Jane" was a comedy with Jack Lemon and Doris Day that was filmed in Connecticut using New Haven 2-8-2 3016.  (thinly disguised as Eastern and Portland 97) Lots of train scenes and not too bad a movie, either.
"Back to the Future III",  hokie to say the least, but lots of train scenes.
"North by Northwest" has some train scenes, 20th Century Limited.  Excellent movie, too.
"Strangers on a Train" (not quite a 'train movie, but good suspense movie anyway).  Neat cameo shots of Danbury, CT
"Stand by Me", love the racing the train across the bridge scene.
"O Brother Where Art Thou" (opening scenes).  Great movie anyway.  Silly.
"Shining Through"  - this is another WWII movie, and as I recall, the train scenes toward the end were very dramatic.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Perhaps the humor is a bit esoteric, but "Mr. Bean's Holiday," a recent release, has a lot of train riding in it.  He starts out in London, then to Paris by way of the Chunnel, then to the South of France.

Be sure to take note of his favorite automobile too!

Here's a link:

http://www.mrbeansholiday.net/main2.html

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Good recommendations all.

An adjunct to Buster Keaton's "The General" would be the Disney classic "The Great Locomotive Chase" - based on the same subject - starring good ol' Fess Parker (a.k.a. Davy Crockett and Dan'l Boone.)

There's also an interesting little (and by that I mean it's only 90 minutes long) flick on DVD from Netflix. It's not exactly a "train movie" in the conventional sense but, nevertheless, it is about trains. It's called "The Station Agent" - it's by a small independant film producer that you never heard of, starring people you never heard of either, but don't let that put you off. It's a very nice movie shot on location on the former New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway in Newfoundland, NJ.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Well,  we did mention "The General" and we share the same appreciation of the talent and self funded effort to tell the story.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

Oh yeah, sorry, then I'll add "Denver & Rio Grande" and "The Greatest Show on Earth" and just for fun I'll second another of my favorites, "Union Pacific" Eh, Bucko?

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
The Station Agent has quite a following.  The beginning where they are at the club meeting and the guy is narrating his home video is priceless.  I am guilty of narrations similar to that!!!  But now I do them on purpose!

There was a Disney movie called "The adventures of Natty Gann" that I used to watch a lot when I was like 10.  I recall it was set in depression era, and was a story of a young girl in search of her father, and riding trains to find him.  I haven't seen it in over 20 years, so I can't recall if it is any good...

Fried Green Tomatoes has some great shots of A&WP 4-6-2 ??? That's even a chick-flick, so it'd score you some points.  Just don't tell us, or we'll have to deduct them again!!

While we're on this topic,  do you think it is about time for Hollywood to recycle the General?  Given the book "Stealing the General" that was published a few years ago that details the history of the Andrew Raid (and the first Medal of Honor) and the success of Civil War movies in general (Gettysburg, Glory, Gods and Generals, etc...),  there's enough of a story there that a more realistic version of the story could be told.  And given that Warner Bros spent the money to have the Wm Mason restored, it would be possible (however unlikely) that the General herself could be restored for the film.  Second thought tells me that they would probably contract the Mason again and dress her up in a W&A paint scheme.  From what I read, the current paint scheme on the Wm Mason is actually closer to the original General scheme than the "General"s black - red cowcatcher and wheels scheme that is currently applied.  (Historic paint schemes become such a point of contention, so I won't go there!)

EIther that, or what about a remake of "Emporer of the North",  but this time without the soundstage dubbing.  That's the most annoying 'feature' of that movie.  Dust off ol Clint Eastwood to play the A-1 role, and Harvey Keitel to play the role of the Conductor.   Oh yeah, and we'll get Tarantino to direct, so it'll start in the middle, then jump to the end, and then back to the beginning.  If he's not available, maybe the Cohen brothers would do it.  Then it'd be more of a 'dramadey'...

(What was in that coffee I drank...)

Mark

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By Bill C. on 01/11/2008 8:16 AM
Perhaps the humor is a bit esoteric, but "Mr. Bean's Holiday," 

Saw it..."esoteric" isn't quite the right word, "beyond stupid" might cover it. I would rather watch paint dry than sit through that thing again

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
One that is more of a "trailer" or "travelog" that I remember seeing when I was in high school/college is "The Vesuvious Express".

I saw this when attending one of the early "Cinemascope" movies in the mid-1950s.

It was all about a (then) new Italian train, a very fancy and modern electric with the engineer riding in a compartment above the passengers.  That provided the passengers with a front row seat for all the scenery.  All the way from Milan to Naples.

What caused this to stick in my mind is that the whole trip was "choreographed" to one of my favorite classical pieces; Tchaikovsky's "Capriccio Italien".

Beautiful (if modern) train, scenery and music.  I wish i could find a copy of that flick on DVD.  I have a CD with the music and I can still visualize in my mind what was happening at certain parts of the score.  Including the majestic arrival in Naples with the perfectly timed finale.

Jim

1 - 20 of 110 Posts