G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to finally fire up my Accucraft live steam Lilly Belle after all these years. I'm not much for chasing after engines, especially on a garden railroad, so I'm thinking of adding a RC servo to at least control the J-bar. Has anyone done this or something similar?

I've heard good things about Spektrum equipment, but it doesn't seem that there are any off-the-shelf kits for this application. Before I wandered too far off the map, I thought I'd check in with all you learned hobbyists in the hopes you can point me in the best direction.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Spektrum is good but kind of bulky. I ran Spektrum until the transmitter died and now am changing all my locos over to Toney's RCS. I like the tiny transmitter that fits in the pocket of my apron.

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
it doesn't seem that there are any off-the-shelf kits for this application
I don't think there are off-the-shelf kits for ANY r/c installation. Maybe a servo bracket for the Ruby, but you still have to mount the receiver.

I suggest you read a few threads on this forum - there are lots of detailed descriptions of how things were done. However, I don't recall hearing about a 'Lily Belle' install - isn't that the 1/24th loco from Accucraft's early days?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pointers. I am reading through threads, but I was looking specifically for adding RC to the Accucraft 4-4-0, hoping for a, "yeah, I did that and here's what I learned..." commentary. Haven't found this so far.

The live steam Lilly Belle is not the electric 1:3 model we made back in 2001. (Yes, 1:3. The Lilly Belle is a 1:8 model of the standard gauge Central Pacific 173, which makes the Accucraft gauge 1 version approximately 1:3 of the Lilly Belle. The ratios get interesting when you make models of models.) The engine I'm looking to fit for RC is a live steam 1:20.3 model of the SPC #3; we made a version of it in Lilly Belle livery. It's not 100% true to the Lilly Belle, of course, but it's still a nice looking steamer.

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. I am reading through threads, but I was looking specifically for adding RC to the Accucraft 4-4-0, hoping for a, "yeah, I did that and here's what I learned..." commentary. Haven't found this so far.

The live steam Lilly Belle is not the electric 1:3 model we made back in 2001. (Yes, 1:3. The Lilly Belle is a 1:8 model of the standard gauge Central Pacific 173, which makes the Accucraft gauge 1 version approximately 1:3 of the Lilly Belle. The ratios get interesting when you make models of models.) The engine I'm looking to fit for RC is a live steam 1:20.3 model of the SPC #3; we made a version of it in Lilly Belle livery. It's not 100% true to the Lilly Belle, of course, but it's still a nice looking steamer.
Ah, Michael isn't it? The man who got us the FWRR locos?

There are several threads on adding r/c to the Accucraft 4-4-0. (The 2-6-0 is essentially the same loco, I believe.) You said "Lily Belle" to confuse us, I guess.
I googled "site:mylargescale.com accucraft 4-4-0 r/c" and got lots of hits.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
CP, if I may add, if you only have room for mini/micro servo's don't worry. As was pointed out in another thread, the smaller servo's will not have the power to totally close and sometimes open a hot throttle. Set your throttle servo to just a creep and then use the directional one to bring the loco to a complete stop. I have found that very useful when working in a very small space like the AML K4, posted back a couple of months back with pics. LG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, gentlemen, for the pointers. I especially appreciate the search tip, Pete, as I was using the search tool within this site and coming up empty-handed. Searching from Google worked great!

Yes, I am the Michael who created the FWRR trains (and several other products) over the years. The only reason my live steam ones don't gather dust is that I have them under lucite cover. Otherwise, they'd be fuzzy by now. I'm determined to let them fulfill their purpose and they will be under steam this year!

With respect to the name, "Lilly Belle", it can mean any number of things: The 1:8 scale 4-4-0 coal-burner from Walt's backyard pike; the 3' gauge 2-6-0 from Walt Disney World; the private varnish from the Disneyland Railroad; electric 4-4-0 models in HO and G; and a gauge one 4-4-0 live steamer. It's the latter iteration to which I refer in this thread.

Side note: it's a funny thing that Lillian Disney -- who's "lack of passion for railroading" is well known -- ended up with so many pieces of rail equipment named for her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts