G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding a flanged drive wheel instead of the blank wheel on the LGB Crocodile locos? Will the plastic drive side rods handle the added stress? Just wanting to make a more realistic loco. Other locomotives have longer wheel bases with all flanged drive wheels as steam locos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried adding a flanged drive wheel instead of the blank wheel on the LGB Crocodile locos? Will the plastic drive side rods handle the added stress? Just wanting to make a more realistic loco. Other locomotives have longer wheel bases with all flanged drive wheels as steam locos.
On my version the powered flangeless center wheels never touched the rails so all traction is from the geared outer wheels. So essentially only 2 out of 6 axles are powered. I switched the flanged wheels to the geared center axle and added new flanged wheels to the inner axles. Initially I experienced derailments even in R3 curves so I cut away some of the insulation in the wheel centers to give the inner axles some side play. Works well on R3. I guess all traction is on the two geared axles per truck and the inner axles are carried along by the side rods without much force being transferred.
Gion

Train Wheel Rolling stock Motor vehicle Vehicle
Train Wheel Rolling stock Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts