G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Adding a Sound Car to the LGB Mogul

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  RkyGriz 
#1 ·
Hi. I was just thinking about my LGB 23191 mogul. As we've already discussed,it didn't come with factory sound. The best solution seems to be to have a Phoenix PB-11 sound system installed in the tender.
But what about adding a sound car instead?

I have several cars that would be suitable for the job. I just don't know if this would be a better,less expensive way to go,or what sound system would be best for this type of set up.
I also would appreciate any advice on how to set something like that up to work with the 23191.

My one concern about this is that I'm not sure if I like having wires going from a sound car to the tender, as it seems that they could be easily broken. Not to mention that they would also stand out like a sore thumb.
So, what do you guys think?
Yay or nay?
Thanks !

Andrew

#2 ·
Most sound cars react to voltage not the motor sounds and to me are just OK. Phoenix does have a chuff sensor for reed switch input.

Sound DCC decoders are the best (even for DC users) as they know if the engine is still, running , or running under a load, and can feed smoke units with this information and also have reed inputs for chuff, bell and whistle like the Phoenix.

#4 ·
Making my own out of my LGB D&RGW Stock Car was my exact thought. I just need a recommendation for type of board,power needs, and ways to get the best performance out of such a set up.
And if it's a cheaper and easier way to get sound for my Mogul.
Thanks,Pete!

#6 ·
#8 ·
I haven't ruled out the Phoenix PB-11. I'm just looking for a somewhat cheaper alternative to it. I'll have to have it installed by a professional, which means shipping the mogul and tender to a service provider,as there are none in my area. Could get expensive just for shipping to and from.
Does anybody know if TrainLi does this type of work? They're in Reno, and it would save a lot on shipping expenses,as they're only 200 miles from where I currently live.
They're closed for the holiday,and their website says that they're overwhelmed with requests at this time.
Thanks!

Thanks!

#9 ·
Call Trainli and talk with Kristine as she does repairs and installs at trainli in Reno.
Trainli installs the Zimo decoder (these work for DC and DCC) in the engine which controls motor, sound, lights, and even smoke in a realistic way and use supercaps for intermittent rail power issues, no batteries to change out when they fail.

Only issue these can have is some pulsed power sources make the decoder think DC running is DCC but with no DCC signal they get (lost). A pwc filter fixes this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.