G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and added more track today and based on all of the feed back on my posts regarding decomposed granit and track bed I decide to keep all tracks mostly elevated. I will try decomposed granit where track #2 hits the ground but other then that they will remain some what above ground.

Here are some shots of today's work, please feel free to provide suggestions on improvement, I know I have a long way to go on scenic stuff, wire hiding, and tressels but the tracks are in for now. Expansion will come in phase III.

http://pj-pjphotos.blogspot.com/201...-2013.html

Pj

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
If your going to keep the track elevated I would hope you add a better stability system. To much chance of x-level going out and causing derailments. RR looks good other wise. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Sir aceinspp, do you have any suggestions. I do not want to put straight board under the track as I want to see the ground. As for stability you are so right, I have already experienced movement from time to time. Now my delimea here is that I have two dogs, lots of critters that come around at night, not to mention a steady stream of folks who come over. We have a nightly get together with the neighbors and of course I get some acidental human issues. So I need the track to be flexible, easy to fix persay, etc. So while I need to survey my tracks daily because of the current configuration, I need to not have a situation where things will break versus just move. I also do not like the looks of my elelvation system as it looks like what it is, just put out to get the trains rolling which up to now has been the goal. I am a major rookie here as I just started this hobby in Dec-Jan this year. I have been into HO all might life on and off but this is up town and out doors which brings with it its own set of challenges.

Thanks
Pj

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Pj;

Here is a technique a friend of mine (now deceased) used on his own very nice garden railroad. His track was kept on various types of pavers, and no ballast was used. He was a retired architect, so he also built beautiful trestles (probably honed his skills building architectural models during his working years).

I'm just presenting this as an idea for you to consider.

Have fun,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow David, that is cool, looks like something I would love to have. I am betting that is something that I can work on when I retire in 4-6 years. The entire lay out looks fantastic infact.

Thanks For the Photo and idea!
Pj

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
It's going to be a tall order to support the track well, keep it level (cross level), eliminate humps and dips AND see the ground through the track. All of that sounds like what a bridge would do for you.

If you stick to short trains, and small locos you can get away with what you are doing, although you will be re-adjusting track as it moves around.

Will have to think on a solution... maybe half the track is on dirt / gravel base and the other half bridges?

All that said, sounds like you are having great fun! My first track was supported by bark chips and slowly ballast and sub-base, so you're not alone!

Greg

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greg and yes I am having a bunch of fun. I am on vacation this week hense a lot of update postings. Based on what I am doing so far would you say I am in compliance with the forum rules. I want folks to chime in with suggestions and comments but the updates to this site might get boring or what ever over time. If you know what I mean. I like keeping a running log of sorts of what I am doing and when for future reference on what did or did not work.

PJ

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your photos show good progress. From the looks of your walkway you know concrete so maybe you can build a short wall to put the tracks on? Most of my track is protected by short walls and blocks and other.. I'm always worried about someone stepping on track in a few places I have unprotected and if it isn't supported well guess what that piece of track will be junk. I still think if you built up planter boxes by using either wood landscape ties, cement, rocks or patio blocks you will be alot happier in the long run. You could build small islands that are connected by bridges.
I have seen photos of elevated RR's where the bushes are allowed to grow up and around the benchwork.
From experience the more your track moves the more troule you will have down the line. If you are track powered just wait until your joiners loosen up and start failing due to getting moved around too much.
It does look like you are having fun and I'm jealous it is still too cold up here on the Cape to work on the RR.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Greg and Todd,

Speaking of too cold, well down here it is perfect hence I took vacation, now on the possitive side of where your at, when the weather up by you gets good it is down right hot down here and while yes I can work in the heat is sure does sloooowww things down. LOL Thanks to you both for the suggestions, that is what I am looking for.

Pj

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gary,

One big point I got from going to that web site was when screwing down the track do not make it too tight on the plastic as that can cause the track to go out of gauge. I am glad that what I started putting in, I did not do that but it caused me to go ourside and double check my goofy engineering attempt at temporary stabilitzation. I will show details when I post today's progress, in my case it is temporary stabilization but not too far off the concept of what they show.

Pj

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Hey Gary;

The link returns a screen that states I'm trying to access a restricted area, and that it will report me to the system administrator.

What gives?

Looked like a public site to me at first view, David Meashey

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Posted By Dave Meashey on 14 Mar 2013 05:33 PM
Hey Gary;

The link returns a screen that states I'm trying to access a restricted area, and that it will report me to the system administrator.

What gives?

I seems to work for me. I don't get the screen that you are apparently seeing. I've had this site "bookmarked" for years. Always comes up the same way.........even bought a couple of items from them. Is anyone else having problems with the link??

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Still doing it for me. I must just have subversive keystrokes. Please offer to serve as a character witness once they take me away.

Yours, David Meashey

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Split Jaw home page here.

John

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Posted By Dave Meashey on 14 Mar 2013 05:33 PM
Hey Gary;

What gives?

I get the same message :-(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts