G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All

Can anyone tell me the actual, measured lengths from rail end to rail end of the Aristo Craft sectional tracks? I understand they are a little shorter than advertised. I need the actual lengths to plan for some modular layout sections.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dawg

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I know they are metric sized, something like a foot being 30 cm (just less than a real foot) but I'm not sure of the exact size.

Where the heck you been hiding, Dawg?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The so called 5' track measures 53 1/4 inches. My 2 ft section measures 23 3/4 inches. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 01/21/2009 6:45 AM
The so called 5' track measures 53 1/4 inches. My 2 ft section measures 23 3/4 inches. Later RJD

RJ,

Are you sure that's the correct measurement for the 5 footer and not the 4.5 footer (54 inch) track?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, metric, that explains it! I now think the common Aristo track sections must be 300 mm (11.81"), 600 mm (23.62"), 900 mm (35.43"), 1350 mm (53.15") and 1500 mm (59.06"). Those are the numbers I need. Thanks, Brian, RJ.

Hiding? Well, since you ask, I did take a short break from large scale to help start a very successful NTRAK club (Montana NTRAK); then moved on to helping with a modular HO club (coming along nicely). Now back to large scale, developing modules for a portable modular outdoor railroad. That's why I needed the track lengths. The idea is to set up in different backyards, grill some burgers and brats, run our trains, and perhaps quaff a brew or two. I'll post something on this project before long, I expect.
Anyway, thank you for the help.

Dawg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Brian i believe you are correct in that the measurement for the longer piece 4 1/2 ft section is 53 1/4 inches. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I suggested once on their forum, "We all know what a meter is, how 'bout telling us the metric measurement rather than saying, "about 5 ft."

Wow, did I hear about that

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool converter, Stan. Thanks!

Dawg

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Although most track is metric measurement, the new USA switch is 36 inches long on the straight path, not 900mm!!!!!

I verified this with my tape measure, 36 inches it is!!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The American Revolution in G 

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, Rick

The modular project is perking right along. I have ten prototype modules in build now. I'm still working out details of support systems for uneven ground, etc. We have five guys interested enough to sign up for at least one module, most want two or more. Now all we need is barbeque weather!

Here's a batch of eight inner curve modules in-process:

Havin' fun now.

Dawg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts