G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically visit and check the forums using the Active Topics options (from the Community tab).

It presents a list of all topics with activity since some time, presumably my last visit.

So, I click on a forum and read it. I click on active topics again so it refreshes the screen and lets me know which topics I have read.

Every so often, it determines to refresh the list not to my last visit, but to about 5 minutes ago. This completely defeats the purpose of active topics.

Other times, I press the Active Topics link at the top of the page and "nothing" happens. The page says "Loading".... But nothing ever gets loaded. Sometimes I can "fix" it, by hitting the Active Topics link again. Other times, it just keeps "Loading".

Not good.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Instead of left-clicking on the subject line to open the thread in the same window, right-click the title and then select "Open in a new tab" or "Open in a new window". Then switch to that tab and read the thread, then close the tab and it will revert to the original list still in the original window.

If your browser does not do tabs, then "Open a new window" and close it when done reading, which will revert your computer to the original browser window.

OR... instead of clicking on the ACTIVE TOPICS menu, click the BACK button to take you back to the original list.

I usually open 10 or 12 topics at a time and read them all, then select the next 10 or 12 and do it again, until I have read all the topics. Then I refresh the Active Topics list and do it again.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles,
I appreciate the work-around, but it doesn't really address the problem of knowing which topics I have already read. My memory seems to be quite faulty these days.

I'm still puzzled as to why the board decides that it's time to refresh the active topics list while I've been active.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I also have puzzlement over the operation of the Active Topics list, but my work-around still achieves the desired result (most of the time :)" border=0>.
Topics that you have read all the latest additions to will have a lighter type face than the ones you have not read, or vice versa, the topics that have new posts will be a bolder type face. I WISH THIS WERE MORE PROMINENT than just a type face difference.
Also, if you just leave the Active Topics page alone when you switch to the TAB that you open for each topic, then on the Active Topic page, the last Topic you have read will still have a light rectangle around the title.
One nice thing the forum software does is that when you open a thread, it will open to the first new post in the thread, (you have to set your Profile to do this). The only problem with this is that I have to remember to look at the list of pages to see if there are higher numbered pages than the one it opened to because there has been more than one reply added since the last time I read the thread. I sometimes (too often) forget to check and miss the latest posts because it opened on page 2 and there are more new responses on page 3.
I open EVERY topic that is presented on the list, but I don't necessarily READ to the point of understanding every topic I open. Some just don't interest me at all /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif" border=0>... okay some of the topics can gain my attention due to a neat photo or some odd word that will stand out and drag me into reading the topic a little more closely! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif" border=0>
Once I have perused all the topics presented on the Active Topics list, I then refresh the list, either by clicking the browsers Refresh button or by selecting a different time value on the drop down list box in the upper right corner of the Active Topics list.
An odd thing that puzzles me is that when using the Refresh button, the "Time" value will sometimes change to a value that is ABOUT 1 hour and 15 minutes prior to the time of the refresh. e.g.: if it is, 1:30 PM and I click the refresh, the "Time" value will change to something like, 12:15 PM. Sometimes it does NOT change and sometimes it changes to a value that is only a few minutes into the past. I have not noted any rhyme nor reason to the selection of the value or when it occurs.
I have also noticed that this method of mine sometimes skips a topic that has had an update to it. I have begun to periodically change the "Time" value to "Yesterday" and sometimes there are one or two topics in the list that got updated a few hours ago, but never showed up in the list after any of the Refreshes I have done.
I also am puzzled by the operation, but by following my "scheme" I am able to FORCE the system to do what I can put up with.
I log-in, go to the Active Topics list, peruse EVERYTHING in sequence, a few at a time, responding to posts as my whim dictates, using the BOLD/light type face to ignore the topics I have already read and using the light rectangle to keep track of the last topic accessed, and then I "refresh" the Active Topics page and start over at the top. With a 'Yesterday' check at least once or twice in a day.
When I am home and not off doing house/yardwork, laundry, etc. the computer is turned on and I log-in to MLS and check the Active Topics page. Then I use the computer for lots of other things... research of topic of interest to me, writing software (just wrote a StopWatch program for my son to use at his job), reading other forums, or just playing solitaire (I'm retired, so the computer is used more for "entertainment" than anything useful now). When I get bored with the other aspects of "entertainment" and there is nothing else I feel like doing, I return to the Active Topics page of MLS and hit Refresh and start all over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts