G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The major complaint with the Accucraft Walscherts valve geared locomotives is the inaccurate geometry of the radius rod being at the top of the link when in forward gear.

This can be VERY EASILY remidied WITHOUT CROSS PORTING and still have proper movement of the johnson bar for the direction of travel.

See me at Diamondhead, I'll have it running on my coal fired K-27.

Torry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Torry, Looking forward to seeing what you did on yours so that I can correct that problem on my K-27 also. Do I need to bring any certain tools and/or materials ( brass stock ect.) with me to Diamondhead , or is it a little more to it than that ??? Thanks, See ya at DH. Chris Sortina SA # 20

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By fkrutzke on 05 Jan 2010 09:38 PM
The major complaint with the Accucraft Walscherts valve geared locomotives is the inaccurate geometry of the radius rod being at the top of the link when in forward gear.

This can be VERY EASILY remidied WITHOUT CROSS PORTING and still have proper movement of the johnson bar for the direction of travel.

See me at Diamondhead, I'll have it running on my coal fired K-27.

Torry

Dear Mr Torry - It would be great if you could post details of this fix for those of us for whom a trip to DH is about as likely as a visit to Atlantis.

Although most of us over here seem to be happy with the latest British outline loco from AccuCraft - the excellent 'Countess/Earl', it is obvious to anybody who has seen the real thing that the valve gear is back-to-front, and looks very odd.

Although I am not going to lie awake at nights fretting it, it would be great if you could share your expertise with those of us with less skill than you have.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Terry,
Torry has already discussed this with me and sent me the drawings for the rework of the reverser stand. There is some work involved to make the Johnson bar work in the correct orientation. If Torry has no objection I will pass on the drawings. I'll talk to him about it next week.

Rod.

·
Lord of the Steam
615 Posts
Although I am not going to lie awake at nights fretting it, it would be great if you could share your expertise with those of us with less skill than you have.

Sounds like a Steam in the Garden article to me! ;-)

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By rodblakeman on 06 Jan 2010 03:55 AM
Terry,
Torry has already discussed this with me and sent me the drawings for the rework of the reverser stand. There is some work involved to make the Johnson bar work in the correct orientation. If Torry has no objection I will pass on the drawings. I'll talk to him about it next week.

Rod.
Evenin', Rod - as I don't actually have the loco to paw just yet, it might seem a bit previous to ask about the work needed to make it look right. However, after more than thirty years of looking at the real thing it just creases me up to see it running forwards when it should be running backwards...as soon as I have it I'll pass it to you to correct, if that's OK.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Registered
308 Posts
Heads up for K-36 owners..just doing our first predelivery and the tender derailed almost immediately.. the trucks are sprung and there are 2 screws [2mm] located in the top edge of the truck side frames on the inside..these where loose on both trucks and the axles fell ut of the boxes..also one wheelset was 2mm under gauge, rpobably from the derailment.worth checking before the first run.

Gordon.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Taperpin on 06 Jan 2010 06:10 PM
Heads up for K-36 owners..just doing our first predelivery and the tender derailed almost immediately.. the trucks are sprung and there are 2 screws [2mm] located in the top edge of the truck side frames on the inside..these where loose on both trucks and the axles fell ut of the boxes..also one wheelset was 2mm under gauge, rpobably from the derailment.worth checking before the first run.

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon. Have heard that from two others also although mine did not have that problem. May depend on which engine you ordered. Both the others were the 483. I have the 488. Sort of standard procedure for any new locomotive is to check all the fasteners to make sure nothing is loose and check the wheel gauge.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rod,

Is there any update on sharing the drawings about the rework of the reverser stamd ? I would like to try this fix on my Accucraft " Earl " as I have already changed the valve timing so that it is correct. Just need to have the reverse lever in the correct position for going forward now.

Thanks

Charles M SA#74

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Charles - Pretty simple if you look at the reverser all you need to do is reverse the pivot point vs where the linkage ties in.

Very similar to what I did on my Ruby after reversing the timimg.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Charles, the Drawings are not available, if you need more information you will have to ask Torry, or you can do the rework as Jason suggests above.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
osted By Kovacjr on 12 Jan 2010 06:51 AM
Charles - Pretty simple if you look at the reverser all you need to do is reverse the pivot point vs where the linkage ties in.

Very similar to what I did on my Ruby after reversing the timimg.

a

Jason:
Talking this topic around with some gear-heads; thinking is there is more to Torry's approach. Some speculation, now we're waiting to see what's what. Comments when Torry performs his reveal should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yes Chris but my response was to Charles about his Accucraft Earl, which is a piston reverser and when he reversed the timing his Jbar was reversed.

As for the Walscherts its pretty much the same, you are rotating the eccentrics 180deg, and retiming. It makes reverse foward and foward reverse. Kinda the same as the piston valve locos. To fix the johnson bar you still have the same theroy, you need to pick up a new pivot point by modifying there or how its connected. The Mason is supposed to be this way as it is how it was built when I ran it before it went to have the axlepump fitted back in China.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guys,
I need to clear something up , the Earl has Walscherts valve gear ,and it is equipped with slide valves and doesn't use a " piston reverser" . The eccentric crank has to be rotated to "trail " the crank pin when in forward motion on this model as per the prototype. Having just set the motion work on a brand new K-36 that was running on one side only , I am familiar with the procedure. There is more to the rework on the reverser stand than it would appear at first glance. I have an idea how to do it , just wanted some feedback before cutting on a $ 2200.00 locomotive that is one of only 10 in the country.

I also got to run the Mason before it went back , and the valve timing is set backwards to the way the prototype was built. The K-36 is backwards also. It runs great as is , it just looks wrong doing so.

Charles M SA#74

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I just ran my new Accucraft NG15 and it also has the valve gear reversed. Can anyone tell me how to re-time it so it runs correctly. Also, it will hardly run in reverse but is ok when running forward. Is this a timing issue also?

Thanks for any help,
Chuck Collins

1 - 20 of 27 Posts