G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filling the steam oil tank of my Accucraft C-16 has always been a pain. I have been using an pump oil can to fill the steam oil tanks of my other live steam engines.

I attached a piece of brass tubing to the end of the nozzle, pushed the tubing to the bottom of the steam oil tank, pumped away and filled the tank without any problems.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
What a brilliant simple idea! I guess the thick new steam-oil even can displace the condensate mixture this way, so you don't have to suck the condensate out first?!

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Posted By Pauli on 11/09/2008 9:43 AM
What a brilliant simple idea! I guess the thick new steam-oil even can displace the condensate mixture this way, so you don't have to suck the condensate out first?!

Pauli,

I don't think even new oil will displace the water/condensate (unless you give it a really big squeeze so the mixture flies out in all directions!)

The C-16 oil tank is a horizontal fake air tank with a small filler. I have the same problems filling it: air trying to get out stops the oil getting in, so you get a lot of spillage. My solution was much the same - a piece of thin rigid tubing (aluminum in my case) to reach the bottom of the tank. I attach it to a syringe, which can suck out the water and then can be used to force steam oil into the bottom of the tank while air escapes around the tube.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete,

I use a syringe to get out the old oil/water but it was a pain getting the fresh oil back into the tank, even using the syringe. It seemed I got more oil on the running board than in the tank. With the oil pump, no problem.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Oil, no matter how thick, still floats on water. Putting new oil in might cause some water to flow out just because of splashing and turbulence, but you have to drain or suck out the water before adding oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts