G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
Just wondering what the actual production figures for these engines were, from back about a dozen years ago. I asked Accucraft (Channing, I think?) about it several years ago, and he said he didn't really know, and didn't think he could easily find the answer.

I have heard it said that there were 50 of them made, but was that 50 total, or more likely 50 of each road number (there were also some made painted, but not lettered or numbered) and in each version (Steam & Electric) which would then total 300? Or possibly there were 50 each of Steam and Electric, which would then likely be 20 of each number and 10 unnumbered for a total run of 100?

Any thoughts, speculations, or actual knowledge would be greatly appreciated ...... inquiring minds want to know???

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
These were made in the post 2008 era when production numbers were reduced. Prior model runs elec and steam total were 200, but at the time of the SP they were often 75-100 unit only total. I would think the SP models total was in that order. Not that many out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello David

I greatly appreciate your reaching out with the info you have provided! While not the definitive answer I was hoping for, which perhaps even Accucraft cannot give, it is at least an indicator that the 300 number should likely be out of consideration. For now, I'll probably just assume that there are perhaps 50 live steamers and 50 sparkie units out there, until further info is forthcoming, if any.
Again ...... THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Wont be 300, usually even in the good days they ran batches of 200 only, unless like the C16 they ran a 2nd or 3rd batch. The SP was only run the one time after the 200 peaks, so I suspect 75-100 is all.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
A lot of Accucraft stuff, like my Mason Bogie, Ft. Wilderness & K-27, had serial numbers stamped or etched into the bottom of the frame, usually under the cab. Sometimes it's even "X of Y', though in at least one case the "Y" number is problematic (they made a few extras). Have you checked you 'Slim Princess' to see?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hello Gary and thanks for your response!

My SPng ten wheelers have what looks like a brass plate attached under the right side of the cab floor, but all it says is:

"Accucraft Trains
By BMMC"

There is no stamped, etched nor electric penciled number to be found. What is under the engines foot plate and under the foot board of the tender is a small square (~3/8 inch) paper tag which I take to be an assembly number, which may or may not be the same as a serial number but is perhaps an indication, though they are clearly not intended as any form of permanent ID, as they are just lightly stuck on at odd angles and one even came off of its own accord during shipping and was found loose in with the packing foam.

What I also have is the original pressure certification certificates for both boiler and gas tank, and they are numerically identified with QB & QG numbers respectively. They also show a date of certification testing. Sadly, due perhaps to our numbering system and numerals being foreign to the tester, it is actually unclear what numbers are actually being represented. Some of them are fairly clear and obvious, and others are much less so.

Here's what I can definitely decern, or best guess, from the numbers available to me. I should add that I bought the #9 new, back in the day, from a known retail establishment that is an authorized Accucraft dealer, while the #8 I only obtained second hand early this year, but it is in nearly "As New" condition, looking to have been fired perhaps once or twice, but clearly no real mileage accrued.

SPng #8
Assy # 014
Boiler Test Cert: QB# 010000042? (2011-3-15) [in the QB# there may be an extra zero, as all other numbers only have four zeros right of the first one]
Gas Tank Cert: QG# 010000150? (2011-3-15) [in the QG# the 1 in 150 may be just an exaggerated extension of the lower left "tail" of the 5, so number may really be only 50]

SPng #9
Assy # 037
Boiler Test Cert: QB# 01000044? (2011-2-15) [the QB# seems normal except after the second 4 there is what appears as a balloon floating high above with a string hanging far down]
Gas Tank Cert: QG# 010000521? (2011-2-13) [the QG# may or may not have a one as the last digit, so may only be 52]

To my mind, dates (which are clearly read) and any of the other potential numbering system do not align in any logical order.

But even if these data points could be considered sound, there is still not enough info to deduce any likely production totals. Perhaps the first ten Assembly #s went to Painted and Unlettered, with 11-30 going to #8 and 31-50 going to #9? Or conversely, 1-20 going to #8 21-40 going to #9 and 41-50 going to Painted and Unlettered? But then what about the Electric Powered engines???

Ah well, all of this is really just an exercise in futility if none of it can be corroborated through Accucraft, and so really it is just a point of curiosity that will likely never be well and truly answered!

Just glad I have these beauties, regardless of their rarity as most certainly they are rather scarce, and not likely to be encountered for purchase very often in the future!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A bit more info to share on this question, that I have found recently, which really does little to clear up the original question.

First Accucraft ad that I have found listing these engines was in the issue No. 116 May/June 2011 of Steam in the Garden (SitG) where there is no mention of an Electric version, perhaps not surprisingly as it is the SitG magazine. It is listed as "Available: Q2 2011", but was likely posted in earlier ads as well, of which I do not have a copy.

The very next issue No. 117 July/August 2011 of SitG, has a "New" herald in the upper left corner of the ad suggesting it is now available for purchase, and also adds the description line "Production Limited to 100 Units", which of course begs the question how many of each number (and unnumbered) were then actually produced. And of course, still no mention of any electric powered units. In this same issue of SitG, Scott E. McDonald has written a fairly extensive and almost entirely positive review article on this engine, but offers no insights into production numbers, nor electric versions.

Personally, I have never come across any info nor videos of the electric version in my web searches regarding this Accucraft product, but it seems certain to exist based on the following info.

The owners manual that came with my engines, expressly describes the electric powered version and even includes two pages of schematic diagrams to assist the owners of the Sparky powered engines, before next going into the details of preparing and firing the live steam versions, so there is that as well.

Accucraft ads on their old website, that can still be accessed, have the electric version advertised but with no reference to production totals, as seen here:

ACCUCRAFT TRAINS

And elsewhere they have the Steam version similarly (almost identically) advertised here:

ACCUCRAFT TRAINS

This of course, begs the question of whether or not the electric version was included in the "Production Limited to 100 Units" or if there were 100 units of each type produced, and if they ever actually achieved the total projected production?!?! In any event, by early 2013 the typical two-page Accucraft ad in SitG no longer listed these engines, suggesting that it didn't take any too long for them to sell out.

Just a bit more info to ponder on this mystery as to actual quantity of each engine that may be out there among us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts