G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everybody, this is my first message! I have had a P8 for 6 months now. It is a built-up model, but I have had to modify it to deal with various problems, so maybe I can be allowed to post on this thread?

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Hello everybody, this is my first message! I have had a P8 for 6 months now. It is a built-up model, but I have had to modify it to deal with various problems, so maybe I can be allowed to post on this thread?
Welcome, and yes, you are welcome to post relevant (or otherwise!) info on this thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello .... Ludlow,
We may know each other - do you live in Toulon, France? If so, I am looking forward to meeting you at EiWi in two weeks.
Michael

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
IF this is Chris, and even if it is not, welcome to MLS.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, this is the technology-compromised Chris Ludlow! Sorry for the delay in posting. How my name here came to be just 'ludlow' I don't know, but there it is. I have no wish for anonymity (at least not here). Maybe I will change it sometime. Back to the P8:
This model bears all the traces of having been designed by a computer, and maybe the meths-fired version (which I have) was a last-minute thought. Here is my list of problems:
  • Impossible to close-couple engine and tender in the closest of the three holes provided in the drawbar, because the meths-feed tube gets in the way.
  • Impossible to see, and therefore replace, the silicon tube from the meths supply under the tender.
  • As supplied, the back end sat down on the copper pipes at right and left. The engine did not rest horizontal. The truck could not move left and right freely.
  • The left-hand Baker crank caught against the back of the dummy pump casting.
  • The wheelsets fell out of the front bogie - loose screws in the frames.
  • The loco trembles slightly, but noticeably, on the track.
  • On the real thing (except in a works photo) there is a horizontal box structure full-width above the front drag-beam. (I would normally say buffer-beam, but there are no buffers). This is absent from the model.
  • Similarly, on all except the works photo, there are two footsteps down from the footplate on either side of the smokebox. The model has just one each side.
  • The boiler handrail takes a dramatic upturn for the coned section. On the model, the upturn is slight.
The engine runs well, but seems to create too much steam. I wonder if four wicks is excessive.
Dick Abbott helped me out with the meths tube connection, and we were going to discuss the trembling, but ran out of time at the GTG here.
I do wonder if others have experienced the points above, and what they've done about them. They are a mixture of function and form.
Best wishes, Chris Ludlow, Toulon, France.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Chris,
As to the crank that catches against the dummy pump, I milled away part of the pump casting at the back:
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

As to the trailing truck, I first bent the copper pipes out of the way as far as possible. This worked fine as long as I ran forward most of the time. However, at the EiWi GTG one month ago, I had to run backwards over points and around curves to get to my train, and the truck just kept derailing! I have turned to a radical solution now: I removed the springs from the journal boxes, so the truck sits very low on the track with maximum clearance (the axle is still spirng-loaded via the spring of the truck):
Train Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Of course, if look very closely, you will notice that the center of the journal box no longer aligns with the axle. Here operational safety is more importnat to me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Michael. Of course, I saw you running your P8 at the EiWi, but I had a bad fall and was a bit distracted. I also removed the springs from the rear truck, later replacing them with very weak springs, which no doubt are funtionally useless. For the pump, I just bent it forward a bit. You are obviously more of an engineer than I am!
Do you also have the impression that the engine makes too much steam?
Best wishes, Chris.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Chris,

Too much steam? At EiWi one guy remarked: "Actually the machine makes a nice sound, only you can not hear it because the safety valve blows off so often" :)

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Michael, exactly! And I remember the person saying it. But I note there is a deafening silence from others on this forum who may own and run one of these locos. Unlike the safety valves. Best, Chris.

Chris,

Too much steam? At EiWi one guy remarked: "Actually the machine makes a nice sound, only you can not hear it because the safety valve blows off so often" :)

Michael

21 - 31 of 31 Posts