G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the process of assembling the kit. Since it doesn't come with a full assembly manual (although it does have the full Aster-like assembly diagrams), I have been giving some feedback to Channing @ Accucraft. I've just finished Page 4 (cylinder assembly).

Your loco appears to be running great!

(David, what's the problem with the safety valve?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Michael, did you have any problems with the operation of the crosshead? The bracket holding the two slide bars (items 21, 20 Page 4), goes below (and behind) Frame 1 (Item 13, Page 1). But then it ends up pushing the two slide bars downwards so that the crosshead doesn't slide properly. The installation diagram on page 5 seems to suggest that the tab of the Slide Bar Bracket goes forward of Frame 1 but then the holes in the slide bars don't line up. Was this an issue for you as well? If so, how did you end up resolving it?

Adding some photos to better explain the problem.
Wheel Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

The red triangle below shows how the crosshead slide bars are pushed down due to the bracket below the frame (red arrow).
Wheel Train Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

One solution would be to file off the bottom 2 mm or so of Frame 1 (green) and then redrill/tap the frame to re-align the holes (green arrows).
Wheel Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

A screen grab from a video of the Ready To Run P-8 seems to show that that is what has been done. Compare length of yellow arrow to first photo above.
Automotive tire Rolling Gas Rim Automotive design

Another solution may be to install the bracket in front of the frame (see below). But then none of the six holes in the bracket line up.
Train Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Finally, for those thinking that the cylinders are supposed to tilt downwards (towards the back) -- that is not the case. The cylinder blocks have tabs that fit into the frame and the top of the block is parallel to the top of the frame. see below.
Camera Auto part Cameras & optics Bumper Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Sorry for the belated reply.
No, I didn't face this problem, however, similar ones with other items.
I compiled a report of what I experienced during the build, and discussed this with my dealer who considered giving feedback to Accucraft.

Michael
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your reply. A list of issues that you encountered would be helpful.

I'm lucky in that I'm only about 20 minutes away from Accucraft's office/warehouse in Union City, CA -- so I can talk directly to them.

My problem indeed was that the part packaged in my my kit was out of dimension. It was 1.26mm too tall. Here are some photos comparing old (right) with new (left).

Ruler Rectangle Office ruler Font Building

Circuit component Rectangle Automotive lighting Wood Font

Wood Measuring instrument Font Rectangle Tool

Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts