G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone assembled this kit? I've just finalized mine and would like to discuss some details.
Here's a video of the maiden run
Video

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff,

Would you mind letting me know how the trailing truck is attached to the main frame in your loco? Mounting the two springs as per the drawing didn't work for me - the truck was pushed upward towards the firebox and wouldn't swivel.
By the way, the safety valve does make this strange noise! Initially, I thought the water level in the boiler might be too high and that's water squirting out, but such is not the case.

Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff,

I put both valves on my test stand and checked them with compressed air.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Electronic device Circuit component

The 'noisy' valve makes the same strange sound with air! Apparently there's something wrong, and I'll get a replacement.
The other valve is OK.

Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After dismantling the valve, I couldn't find anything that didn't look normal...and after reassembling the 'strange' noise has gone!
Maybe some dirt, swarf, who knows...
I adjusted the valve to 4 bar and marked it.
Liquid Beer Fluid Amber Ingredient

Michael

P.S. By the way...my loco is the spirit-fired version.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Michael, did you have any problems with the operation of the crosshead? The bracket holding the two slide bars (items 21, 20 Page 4), goes below (and behind) Frame 1 (Item 13, Page 1). But then it ends up pushing the two slide bars downwards so that the crosshead doesn't slide properly. The installation diagram on page 5 seems to suggest that the tab of the Slide Bar Bracket goes forward of Frame 1 but then the holes in the slide bars don't line up. Was this an issue for you as well? If so, how did you end up resolving it?

Adding some photos to better explain the problem.
View attachment 63584

The red triangle below shows how the crosshead slide bars are pushed down due to the bracket below the frame (red arrow).
View attachment 63585

One solution would be to file off the bottom 2 mm or so of Frame 1 (green) and then redrill/tap the frame to re-align the holes (green arrows).
View attachment 63586

A screen grab from a video of the Ready To Run P-8 seems to show that that is what has been done. Compare length of yellow arrow to first photo above.
View attachment 63587

Another solution may be to install the bracket in front of the frame (see below). But then none of the six holes in the bracket line up.
View attachment 63588

Finally, for those thinking that the cylinders are supposed to tilt downwards (towards the back) -- that is not the case. The cylinder blocks have tabs that fit into the frame and the top of the block is parallel to the top of the frame. see below.
View attachment 63589
Hi,
Sorry for the belated reply.
No, I didn't face this problem, however, similar ones with other items.
I compiled a report of what I experienced during the build, and discussed this with my dealer who considered giving feedback to Accucraft.

Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sakumar,

My detailed list with photos is written in German, however, a summary in available in English. My intention is helpful feedback for improvement, so I would like to keep this within a circle of like-minded guys, and I am happy to share but not just by posting to anyone.
Any ideas? By private email or has this forum a private message box? Pls advise.

Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello everybody, this is my first message! I have had a P8 for 6 months now. It is a built-up model, but I have had to modify it to deal with various problems, so maybe I can be allowed to post on this thread?
Hello .... Ludlow,
We may know each other - do you live in Toulon, France? If so, I am looking forward to meeting you at EiWi in two weeks.
Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Chris,
As to the crank that catches against the dummy pump, I milled away part of the pump casting at the back:
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

As to the trailing truck, I first bent the copper pipes out of the way as far as possible. This worked fine as long as I ran forward most of the time. However, at the EiWi GTG one month ago, I had to run backwards over points and around curves to get to my train, and the truck just kept derailing! I have turned to a radical solution now: I removed the springs from the journal boxes, so the truck sits very low on the track with maximum clearance (the axle is still spirng-loaded via the spring of the truck):
Train Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Of course, if look very closely, you will notice that the center of the journal box no longer aligns with the axle. Here operational safety is more importnat to me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Chris,

Too much steam? At EiWi one guy remarked: "Actually the machine makes a nice sound, only you can not hear it because the safety valve blows off so often" :)

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts