G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an FYI: On the One20-point3 group, a member in CO has posted a bunch of AMS stuff for sale. (I got a Hartford Hobart Estates logging caboose, complete with smoking stove and stack.)

He has a set of Accucraft San Juan brass coaches, all 4 for $1,500. They retailed for $500 each. It will cost probably about $500 to ship them, as he has original boxes (I think) but no packaging - he lets UPS or Fedex take care of it at your expense.

The pics of all the cars are on his realtor site:
https://www.denverrelocation.com/denver-accucraft-items-for-sale/

Pete's email is pete (at) denverrelocation (dot) com.

The full list of what he has left is here:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/10424/g-scale-1b-pdf
The PDF includes links to the other pages of photos.

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The seller says:
"I am rebuilding list 4.0 and will send it to you. Mostly Bachman & LGB rolling stock.Except for the Colorado Mining Company 0-4-0 saddle tank engine, and 2 Hartford highside gon kits there is no 1:20.3 stuff left."

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
$500 to ship them to any state is absurd!

The full San Juan set is 5 cars, it was a buy 4 and get one free as I remember. I had a set, all five, at one time. I'll be danged if I can remember what car was the 5th. 4 Cars would be a partial set. Need a call to Accucraft for specifics. Or drop by their offices and see the original 5 car set in their museum.

The vague memory is; the original set, I believe, sold for $1500 or $375 each plus the 5th car free. The set I bought was new in sealed cartons (all 5) but not from a dealer.

The cars have to be packed wrapped in tissue paper then place in the styrofoam. Styrofoam is abrasive and will take the paint off edges revealing brass and mar the lettering as well. Each car is secured to the wood base with screws. If the cars have been sitting out uncovered for a long period of time they are coated with dirt and oil mix. The longer exposed the more of it and the harder it gets over time and the harder to get off. It can take a mild solvent to get it off, depending. It's worst on the plastic windows.

The Pallor car has a illuminated round hearld mounted on the rear railing. The original was very dull in appearance. Accucraft offered a replacement that was very brightly colored. Accucraft's Parts catalogue still shows it as available (amazing enough.) for $79.

AP11-460 Drumhead - San Juan Style
SKU: AP11-460
https://www.accucraftestore.com/product-page/drumhead-san-juan-style

$0.02

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you want it bad enough $500 shipping is no big deal. But yet it was to much.... I just want my last remaining find... the Baggage Car!!! And my set is complete.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you want it bad enough $500 shipping is no big deal.
The $500 was purely a guess on my part. Pete (the seller) has no packaging and he takes the item to UPS and you pay for packaging, (UPS style,) and shipping. I got the little "uk" caboose [=Un-Known manufacturer; turned out to be Hartford,] and packing+ shipping cost about $25+$24. The "UPS recommended packaging" was quoted (by the UPS guy) at $49, so I told him 'no way' and he backed down to a smaller box. Shipping for the caboose was low as it isn't heavy, (and it survived just fine,) but the brass San Juan's would be heavy and bulky.

I recall the price was $500/car, and the 5th car was offered later. Maybe you got a special deal! RLD still has the Bumble Bee version on their website ('sold out') http://rldhobbies.com/sanjuanpassengercars.aspx. So does MBV Schug: http://www.accucraft.de/body_produk..._3/D_RGW_San_Juan_Set/d_rgw_san_juan_set.html
and the part numbers are listed on the bottom of the page, including the extra coach.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the original green 5 set. I recall purchasing a 4-set and getting the 5th car free with the purchase. Around $500 per car sounds about right. They are virtually impossible to find in mint condition. My set is in perfect condition and has been in a glass display cabinet in an air-conditioned room for many years, never run on a track and handled by no one except me. The original inner and outer boxes and packing are in storage. When the plastic window film loosened in all the cars due to age (which seems to be a common occurrence), I replaced every single individual window with real glass, precisely cut from microscope slides and adhered with 3M two-sided tape that acts like a gasket and gives an authentic reveal. I used double thickness tape on the lower window panes so they recess realistically. I also replaced the chains with more accurately scaled chains. I have a live steam green boiler Accucraft K28 and an electric black boiler Accucraft K28, either goes with the set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts