G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just being curious. I recall Accucraft making the San Juan brass coach set, and I thought it was a 4-car set for about $500/car. I almost bought one once for $1500, but then sanity prevailed when I thought about shipping cost and where I would store it!

I also recall Accucraft making an additional car for the set. Brasstrains sold a complete 5-car set:
Fn3 Brass Model - Accucraft D&RGW 5 Car Passenger Set San Juan AL84-201A/B/C/D/E - F/P - 2005 Run - Made in China | BRASSTRAINS.COM
although note they list AL84-201 A,B,C,D,E,F which is 6 cars.

And that's why I posted this, as a mint 6-car set popped up in a recent auction. I wasn't aware there were 6 cars. To add to the curiosity, I then googled those part numbers and found a Worthpoint entry for the 6th car, and it talks about the seventh! (AL84-201-G).
Accucraft D & RGW AL-84 201-F San Juan Series Durango Parlor Buffet Car (brass) | #519949280

Anyone have a photo of the complete 7 car set?

P.S. the 6 car mint set is listed as starting bid at $4,776.00. :oops:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Pete, I have the 5 car set and I suspect the larger sets have the coaches with four different numbers. There was also different parlour cars named Durango, Alamosa and Chama. I have Alamosa and Chama parlour cars (I already had Chama before I obtained the set) where each one has the correct difference in window size and placement so very accurate models.
There was also a brass four car "bumble Bee" yellow set with three vestibule coaches and a parlour car but no RPO car or baggage car.
The tiny scale swivel limiting chains on the bogies are a nice detail touch but break easily out in the garden so I removed mine. The train is very heavy but gives a loco a good workout!
Also as they age the window glass 'glue' fails and you will probably have to open up each car to re-attach, fiddly but do-able and you can paint and detail further the interior while you are at it.
But you are right the freight to ship is huge particularly for me to ship it out to Australia where the freight cost me nearly as much as the train !
The images below, on a friends layout, are my 5 car set with 2 standard open end cars in the middle (lighter colour) but you can see the vestibule cars, the parlour car, the RPO and baggage car that make the set. The Alamosa parlour car had a sticky coupler that would open up and just as I took the photo it did it, so that's why it's not connected to the train and rolling to a stop.
A seven car set would be interesting to see so I hope someone has some images of what makes up the 7 car train.
Russell

Plant Vertebrate Tree Wood Mammal

Train Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pete,

You are correct when remembering it was a 4 car set from Accucraft. It was a baggage, RPO, coach and parlor car Alamosa. The extra car for the set was a second coach so you had numbers 325 and 326. A “full set” would only ever be 5 cars. The 6th and 7th cars you referenced that Accucraft made were the parlor cars Durango and Chama that you could interchange with the Alamosa but prototypically there was only ever one parlor car on a train.

As a little side information if someone wanted to run a longer San Juan train the way Russel did it is perfectly prototypical. In the busy years of the San Juan the D&RGW would add a open vestibule car next to the coaches when needed. These cars were typically numbers 280, 284, 306, or 320 as they had the steam pipe pass through from being used on the chili line.

As Russel mentioned Accucraft also made a bumblebee set as they were painted after 1962. This set I believe was only ever sold as a 5 car set including the parlor car Alamosa and 4 coaches numbered 312, 319, 323, and 327.

I hope this helps with your curiosity.
Cooper

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pete,

You are correct when remembering it was a 4 car set from Accucraft. It was a baggage, RPO, coach and parlor car Alamosa. The extra car for the set was a second coach so you had numbers 325 and 326. A “full set” would only ever be 5 cars. The 6th and 7th cars you referenced that Accucraft made were the parlor cars Durango and Chama that you could interchange with the Alamosa but prototypically there was only ever one parlor car on a train.

As a little side information if someone wanted to run a longer San Juan train the way Russel did it is perfectly prototypical. In the busy years of the San Juan the D&RGW would add a open vestibule car next to the coaches when needed. These cars were typically numbers 280, 284, 306, or 320 as they had the steam pipe pass through from being used on the chili line.

As Russel mentioned Accucraft also made a bumblebee set as they were painted after 1962. This set I believe was only ever sold as a 5 car set including the parlor car Alamosa and 4 coaches numbered 312, 319, 323, and 327.

I hope this helps with your curiosity.
Cooper
After looking thru their price sheet at the time, I believe there were only a total of San Juan 6 cars. There was one set of 4 cars, the bumble bee set and 3 separate cars, a coach and 2 parlor cars. I have listed them below:
AL84-202 (San Juan Four Car Set, "Bumble Bee" (Coach #312, #319, #327, Parlor Car...
AL84-202E (San Juan "Bumble Bee" Coach Car #323, (1:20.3 Scale))
AL84-202F (San Juan Parlor Buffet Car "Durango" (1:20.3 scale))
AL84-202G (San Juan Parlor Buffet Car "Chama" (1:20.3 scale))
mp,

·
Registered
2 Posts
After looking thru their price sheet at the time, I believe there were only a total of San Juan 6 cars. There was one set of 4 cars, the bumble bee set and 3 separate cars, a coach and 2 parlor cars. I have listed them below:
AL84-202 (San Juan Four Car Set, "Bumble Bee" (Coach #312, #319, #327, Parlor Car...
AL84-202E (San Juan "Bumble Bee" Coach Car #323, (1:20.3 Scale))
AL84-202F (San Juan Parlor Buffet Car "Durango" (1:20.3 scale))
AL84-202G (San Juan Parlor Buffet Car "Chama" (1:20.3 scale))
mp,
oops i typed the wrong # of cars, there were 7!
m,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts