G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v accumulated all the parts to R/C my Accucraft Sabrina - RCS R/C control system, Tx, Rx, 2 servos, on/off harness, also have a couple of servo mounts on hand, 2mm wire linkages with turnbuckles, a 4 AA battery box mount, and a 90 degree linkage gizmo which I'm told is for the throttle linkage.

Now all I need is a picture of the cab of an R/C'd Sabrina to see exactly how its all put together.
Can anybody help?
Thanks!

James
Grandview Light Railway

·
Registered
19 Posts
James,
You have the best example of how-to RC your Sabrina sitting right there. Take a look at the RC setup in your Katie model. The servo installation is easy to see how everything works. I would suggest that the battery box and receiver go under the cab, keeping them away from the heat. Batteries and receivers don't work well in hot environments. You will have to have a hole in the floor to pass the 2 sets of servo wires to the receiver, I run my wiring through a rubber gromet to prevent chafing the wires. Katie's mounting points using the standoffs will work in the cab of the Sabrina if you have such a thing in your parts kit. If it is a stamped bracket, it can be drilled and attached in the right position with a little work. Take a look at the link to the installation instructions for a Katie I have added here.
hbk12.pdf (roundhouse-eng.com)
The fact that no one has responded to your request for pictures of an RC 'ed Sabrina leads me to believe that no one has RC 'ed a Sabrina yet.
Charles M

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at the Katie for ideas, but the cab equipment arrangements in the Sabrina are different. Sabrina reverser control is on the right side, and the gas tank is in the way for servo mounting. For the Sabrina throttle control there is a 90 degree lever that bolts to the floor in factory holes to the left of the burner - but where and how does the throttle servo mount? The lubricator is in the way for servo mount.
I've been told that several UK loco repair shops have installed R/C in Sabrinas, so it has been done, but no one, builders or loco owners have responded to picture requests.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been told that several UK loco repair shops have installed R/C in Sabrinas, so it has been done, but no one, builders or loco owners have responded to picture requests.
I run a UK loco repair shop, have never installed r/c in a Sabrina (never even seen one) but I have on many other Accucraft locos. Frankly, without one on my bench in front of me I would not know where to start with a Sabrina, but if I did have one here it would be the usual procedure for a loco not encountered before: Sit and think about it, hold the components in various places and wonder "Would that fit there?". And it is that process that takes time and has to be paid for. However, it is something you could do yourself rather than just copy somebody else's work.

It comes as no surprise to me that no commercial shop has posted pictures. If I had done an install I would probably ask the owner to keep the arrangements to themselves rather than giving away my commercial information. Taking on challenges such as this is what puts food on my table.

One piece of advice though: Accucraftt metal of all types is immensely hard. If you need to drill holes, especially in their stainless steel, a normal drill will not do it and just go blunt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then I would suggest contacting Accucraft UK and ask them who has done the conversion. Accucraft UK would know or could recommend someone.
Contact Us | Accucraft UK Ltd

Charles M
Thank you Charles for that information. I've contacted Accucraft UK and I hope they aren't as proprietary with their information. For the life of me I can't imagine how that 90 degree bell crank gets used or is needed in the Throttle linkage, even though Accucraft put 4 mounting holes in the footplate for it...

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
114 Posts
No input on mounting servos, but my 2 pennies on batteries. I have RCS rx in my Ruby, started with alkaline batteries in a holder. Terrible life expectancy and started getting twitchy servos after 40 minutes of running, change batteries and all good. Got reachable 5 cell battery packs. Night and day difference. Run the train for 5 sessions of 1hr plus before I consider recharging.

If you're in the US Maxxpacks in Wisconsin is who I got mine from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
James,
Here's a thought about your problem. In the past when Accucraft advertised models as having an R/C option ( Earl and Sealion) those models had to go to Accucraft UK to be fitted out. I had ordered a manual " Earl " after finding out the R/C would only be installed in Britain , and a 4 to 6 month delay in delivery. You have a kit of " parts " for R/C installation , with no instructions included. The parts you have could just as easily be for an R/C Aster model with no connection to a Sabrina at all. The fact that nothing seems to make sense in how it mounts and what should go where leads me to think this. The fact that the kit has no instructions included , seems to be very poor service for the money spent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts