G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a piece of information for anyone who has an Accucraft S-12. This past weekend I learned that Accucraft did not use any lock tight on these loco's. I have run mine about 10-15 hours and this weekend I learned the hard way that with this loco in particular you need to check that ALL small bolts and nuts are tight. I usually check the running gear after each run and all seemed OK, but this weekend after 20 minutes for running the engineers side cross head fell apart bending the compound link and maybe the piston rod. (I hope not!) I will look for all of my spair bolts and put it back together and try it. So those of you that have one be sure to check all of the hardware even the odd stuff that should not come lose.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yours must have been built on a Monday or Friday! You need to specify on your next order to your dealer that you only want a locomotive that was built on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bill,
It wasnt no "loctite" that did you in.. the crosshead pin on these models is not a bolt/nut but is riveted behind the crosshead ..the rivetis alight upset and to repair you will have to remove the crosshead and piston rod, clean out the rear plate, make new crosshead bolt with a threaded retainer behind[this needs to be thin so it doesnt foul the coupling rods] . it is probably worth making one for both sides while its on the bench.

when removing the piston rod from the crosshead, wrap a piece of soft brass or copper around the rod, to avoid marking it..its screwed into the crosshead, and use atool makers clamp to grip [over the brass ]
If its still under warranty, the selling dealer should do the repair.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gordon,
I finally got to repair the loco last night, reading the other post I realized that when I said the crosshead fell apart I should have said the crosshead guides fell apart. The upper crosshead guide fell out (spent a half hour looking for it in the stone) and the lower one was about to fall out. I got it repaired with no major issues other then it was hard to get to. I had to take off the cab and running boards, and the valve gear had to come off form the link to the valve. Once I got it all back together I took it out for a loco only run, It ran great in forward but would not run in reverse. (which it always did) I will check the timing as time allows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts