1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the cylinder in question:
Finger Clock Measuring instrument Household hardware Circle
Household hardware Material property Auto part Circle Rim

I already contacted Accucraft about the defective cylinder block, but I'm curious if I can get it working in the meantime.

This cylinder was from a Ruby kit I recently purchased and started assembling.

The cylinder was cast improperly and probably had a bubble, or not enough brass was poured. Either way, there wasn't enough material and there is a small recess in the cylinder wall which causes the o-ring to bind.

My idea to fix it would be to strip the paint off the cylinder, heat it up with a torch, and apply some solder to the gouge.

I would then polish the solder flush, to act like a filler material.

Is this feasible? (Or even worth doing?) Or should I just wait on Accucraft's response?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would wait for accucrafts response first, but a 'repair' I would consider is machining out to a bigger size and putting a sleeve back in to the original size.
Russell
I would really prefer to do it this way, but at the moment, I don't have a drill press/ milling machine so drilling out the cylinder at dead center would be difficult.

Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Russell mentioned in post #4, Tripe R Services are agents and Ryan is very knowledgeable. He may even have spare cylinders in stock that he can charge to Accucraft!
If there is a possibility they might have cylinders in stock, I might have to contact them.

It would be great if they would charge it to Accucraft, because after all, it’s a factory defect.

Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
134 Posts
I think it would be cool to have Bill Allen bore it out, make the other one match. And make new pistons for the larger bore. More power potential.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's the cylinder in question:
View attachment 64062 View attachment 64061

I already contacted Accucraft about the defective cylinder block, but I'm curious if I can get it working in the meantime.

This cylinder was from a Ruby kit I recently purchased and started assembling.

The cylinder was cast improperly and probably had a bubble, or not enough brass was poured. Either way, there wasn't enough material and there is a small recess in the cylinder wall which causes the o-ring to bind.

My idea to fix it would be to strip the paint off the cylinder, heat it up with a torch, and apply some solder to the gouge.

I would then polish the solder flush, to act like a filler material.

Is this feasible? (Or even worth doing?) Or should I just wait on Accucraft's response?

Thanks.
Could you fill the house with jb weld, push out the excess with the piston and clean it up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts