G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now for some good news.

The first shipment of the new Royal Hudsons has arrived in California and Jerry Hyde has told me that the priority is to ship them as soon as possible this week to their new owners. Having seen the development at close hand I look forward to my wife Phyl receiving hers. I know that some time soon we will be clearing our track of snow to run hers in a very prototypical environment .

The following will take you to a clip on youtube that we made of one of the prototypes running during boiler trials at Dick Abbott's track here in Canada in December 2006. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fc0ijEDgxI

David Morgan-Kirby has been the ring leader of the Canadian part of the development and it was him that pursuaded Dick Abbott to become involved in the early stages with the boiler design and such details as the valve gear and pumps. You can see from the clip that there is no shortage of steam or power. Each one of the preproduction models have performed well and this will be a very popular model.

Congratulations to Jerry, David, Dick and of course Accucraft --- Job well done

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fc0ijEDgxI

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Alan - that is indeed the best Christmas present I could wish for [apart from a full head of hair, that is]!

With Phyll's loco #40, and mine #41, and all the others eagerly awaiting delivery, I'm certain sure there will be no shortage of happy steamers over the Christmas festivations! Mine will be coming the old slow way to me here in UK, i have no doubt, but will be THE most welcome visitor this season. The waiting while this has been developed will, I'm sure, have been well worth it, and a note from David while I was in Tokyo last week leads me to bleeve that THIS will indeed be Accucraft's 'Glory Loco'. I DEFINITELY need more than one car now.

Best to you and Phyl, to Dick and to D M-K, for making it all happen.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Registered
856 Posts
The scale is 1/32 the liveries are #2860 as it is today, #2860 as it ran in service and #2850 as it was (blue) when it carried the King and Queen across Canada in 1939. Over the long development time of this model I have been providing pictures of 2860 to Jerry plus the engineer that runs it today is a personal friend who lives about 2 blocks from me has spent some time on the phone making sure the details are correct. The original plans were provided to Jerry from here. Rob, as to which livery everyone chose, I had one customer buy all three. The rest all bought as it is today and as it ran about equal. Only 3 in the blue livery have been made so far. All were available in either gas or alcohol fired.

This is quite a good site for quick information http://www.rrsites.com/royalhudson/intro.htm

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Hi Dan,
Actually 2851 was NEVER in Blue livery, and was in maroon livery when she handled the Pilot Train for the Royal Tour in 1939.
I think what you meant to say was 2850 which was in blue for the few days that she handled the Royal Train before being quickly repainted back to maroon.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Well, mine arrived safe and sound this afternoon.
It is a 2860 in 'as ran in service' livery.
Looks 'okay', but I am having to make a list!!!!!
Hopefully I will be able to get it in steam this weekend, although I only have about 40 foot of my track useable at the moment due to being in the middle of a rebuild.
Regards
David Leech, 
Delta, BC Canada

·
Registered
856 Posts
Of course you are correct David but I was tricked by the on-line information I found.

“CP Hudson #2850 was given the honor of pulling the Royal Train to Vancouver. It was specially refinished in Royal Blue and aluminum, with a golden crown (the King's crown) at the front of each running board. CP Hudson #2851 was chosen to head the procession as a pilot train. It preceded the Royal train by exactly one hour, carrying the press and other officials. Both locomotives performed perfectly over the 3224 mile trip. After the trip, 2850 and 2851 were returned to their standard paint scheme.”

I know it was 2850 that pulled the royal train but what color was 2851 returned from?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By David Leech on 12/10/2008 7:49 PM
Well, mine arrived safe and sound this afternoon.
It is a 2860 in 'as ran in service' livery.
Looks 'okay', but I am having to make a list!!!!!
Hopefully I will be able to get it in steam this weekend, although I only have about 40 foot of my track useable at the moment due to being in the middle of a rebuild.
Regards
David Leech,
Delta, BC Canada

Pictures, pictures, and MORE pictures, please. For those of us who will have to wait.

And waddya mean, 'looks 'okay''?.......talk about a put-down!

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Okay everyone,
I thought that I would start sending notes of my experience with my Accucraft Royal Hudson.
For those of you who are also owners, or waiting for yours, you may have a different experience.
Overall, it looks very good, and assuming that it runs well, I would say that it is good value for the money.
Perhaps, because I was originally making my own kit bashed H1e and have plans and numerous books and photographs about the Royal Hudson, I am being a little too picky about some of the parts of the model that are not quite accurate, so I will not make comments about that here.
What I will comment on is where I have problems.
1) The cab was leaning backwards by a couple of degrees. I managed to loosen some bolts and get it better. Not perfect yet as I want to make sure it runs well first.
2) On one of the driving wheel flanges is a large lump of hard glue like material. I am sure that I will be able to remove it prior to running it, but if not spotted it would have probably led to a derailment at the first switch.
3) The pressure gauge is lying on it's side below the window line. It can't be pulled up due to the whistle valve. Also the gauge is lower than the lowest part of the 'U', and I would rather see it higher. It will need to be removed to re-arrange it.
4) Just removed the burner to check it out. NO wicks at all installed. I wondered why there are some in a plastic bag with the tools. Nothing in the instructions about that this needs to be done, or how many, how long and shape etc..
5) To remove the burner, I had to remove the drawbar support, and discovered that the screws holding the actual part that the drawbar pivots on were very loose. Not sure if they would have ever fallen out, but I'm glad that I found it now.
6) Also, my drawbar only has one hole, and the instruction manual say's that it should have two.
7) The front of the front truck of the tender has the sump and fuel line, plus the two water lines, pass through it. As it is, my truck will not turn one way at all, and just a little the other. Recommended radius is 10 foot, but I'm not too sure that mine will make it as unpacked. I am going to try and move the water lines in as tight as I can, and try and move the water feed line clamp a little and that should fix it.
8) Other problems and concerns are minor, so I won't mention them at this time.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
David
Please continue as you experience the various aspects of inspection, firing and operations with the engine. Appreciate an honest and informative overview.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
All that is a mite disconcerting, Mr Leech. May I ask what your build number is?

BTW, the last time we were in BC, we noticed a couple of folks walking around with little box-like things that they pointed all over the place. Curious as to what they might be doing, I asked them. They told me that the little box-like things were apparati for recording, by means of strange and mystical alchemical means, a scene at which they were pointed. I bleeve they called them camraz or some such name.

Do you have one, Sir?

And if so, could you employ it to make a record of the appearance of YOUR Hudson?

Best wishes, lots of luck, and please let us know how it all pans out - I have to admit that I may well be dead and cold before I figure out the density of a single wick, let alone its length and shape...

tac
www.ovgrs.org

PS - having stood on the footplate of #2860, walked around her on numerous occasions, been hauled up and down Howe Sound as well as having been capaciously soaked by the steam form the drain cocks, would I necessarily notice much in the way of inaccuracies in general?

·
Registered
47 Posts
David,
There is quite a good Accucraft dealer in your area, talented chap. If you could drag him away from his S2 for a moment, he may be able to help you rectify all these problems. That is a long list for straight out of the box. Have you built your coaches yet to go with it?
Rob

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.