G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the ride on railroad hobby. I would like to ask if anyone has had good or bad experiences with the Accucraft Ride on Plymouth switcher. I want to get a starter engine, but I dont want to purchase an engine that will not pull a few cars with passengers. I'm also looking at the Titan Jr.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to the ride on railroad hobby. I would like to ask if anyone has had good or bad experiences with the Accucraft Ride on Plymouth switcher. I want to get a starter engine, but I dont want to purchase an engine that will not pull a few cars with passengers. I'm also looking at the Titan Jr.

I appreciate any and all feedback.
RobC,

Welcome to MLS.........There are only a handful of us on MLS that are doing ride-on trains. My experience with ride-on trains goes back to 1956! A couple of questions....are you located in the continental United States? Age and mechanical ability? I can give you many suggestions for a small starter switcher including the Accucraft Plymouth and the Titan Trains Titan Jr.

The Accucraft Plymouth is a little over-priced at $4250. Same for the Titan Jr. at $4280. With reference to Titan Trains in Virginia, this company used to be called Mountain Car Company.......they ran into some financial difficulty a few years ago and some folks took it over and renamed it. I have heard some folks are still having "issues" with the "new" company. If you can post a little more information, I can recommend many ways for you to go for a "first time" ride-on locomotive for a great deal less money than these two engines you are thinking about.

Hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr Gary,

Thank you for your response. I'm 39 yrs old. I live in New Orleans. I do not have a machinist background but I have many friends who are machinists. I also restore antique cars as another hobby with my father. I do have mechanical abilities to figure things out and make them work. I've had trains all my life. From N scale to LGB.
I lost some of my trains in Katrina, but was able to find replacements for my trains.
As a child I've dreamed of having a ride on train in my backyard. I have 2 acres of land to make this happen.
Any recommendations I would greatly appreciate.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Rob,

Sorry to hear about your loss of trains in Katrina. My son was deployed there with the 1st CAV DIV to help with evacuations and rescue and security just after Katrina hit.

You mentioned the Accucraft Plymouth.......I've seen a couple at our club track here at Los Angeles Live Steamers when Accucraft brought them down to sell at their booth during some of our meets. Nice engine, well detailed, but might be "over-priced" (it IS Accucraft :)) at $4250. I'm not real sure about its pulling power. Just my humble opinion. You also mentioned the Titan Jr. from Titan Trains.....looks like a larger engine and may have a better pulling capacity than the Plymouth. One thing you should know is that titan Trains is Mountain Car Company "re-named". They had financial issues and non-delivery of some product a few years back. One of their officers purchased MCC and changed the name. I have heard that they are still having some issues with delivery times. Probably a "crap-shoot".

As I commented previously, I have been into ride-on scales since 1956 when I built my first live steamer. A one inch scale Little Engines tank engine. I was 13 at the time and my Dad taught me how to use a lathe and mill at that time at his company machine shop. I eventually became a die sinker in the forging industry out here as my vocation. Retired in 2003 after 38 years. I have been involved in 1-1/2 inch scale since 1980. Built a Gene Allen ten wheeler and a few Pacific Electric Baldwin electrics (similar to the West Valley electrics built in the Bay Area.

If you want a nice Plymouth or Whitcomb switcher for a great price, you might want to contact Rich Eaton at Eaton Custom Engineering in Castle Rock, Washington. They make a very nice Whitcomb style switcher in ready to run for $2995 plus shipping. Or a "eight module" kit for about $2600. It's all electric and great pulling power. Their is a video on his website showing it pulling eleven 5 or 6 foot long gondolas (no passengers :) and having no problem with that weight. Each gondola is the weight of an average adult. I'm building one of these now from scratch....I have a home machine shop and purchased my material from my local steel/aluminum dealer. Very simple construction. And Rich encourages this type of building and gives you all the tips, suggestions and advice you need. This engine is all aluminum including the body. Only weighs about 150-160 pounds with the two 12 volt batteries. FULL Phoenix Sound and wireless control. The controller is NOT hooked to the engine-pretty similar to Airwire in our large scale trains (45mm).

J&S Railcar in Tennessee builds small switchers.

Send me your email address and I will send you some contacts for engines, rolling stock and track and ties to start a layout on your two acres! My email is: [email protected].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts