G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
It does look like a great morning for steam with that nice steam plume from the mogul. I had forgotten about the coaches Delton made, very interesting and quite different from the usual Jackson & Sharp types, do you know what railway where they modelled from?
Russell

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes I must confess a bit of a love affair with the Delton long coaches! I have 5 sets in all - the Maroon D&RGW set Mr DiMaggio sold me (still love them to bits!) I also have two sets of the D&RG Mahogany set, the Green C&S set and also a red SPC set. Russ, you'll have seen some of these coaches when I've run my E6s 4-4-2 and Bowande Casey Jones at your place. The design for these cars actually came from standard gauge NYC (according to Phil Jensen who designed them). While they're muted as 1:24, they are really smaller than that, and work perfectly with 1:29 and 1:32 as well, hence why I used them with standard gauge engines.

· Premium Member
441 Posts
If folks are interested in a dead ringer for the Delton coaches - and it may well have been the origin, as I dont know the early history of this car before it came to Colorado, but Great Western Combine No100 at the Colorado RR Museum, while standard gauge, has the bodywork almost identical in styling to Phil Jenson's Combine. Note the window design, roof and eave design, all exactly as seen on the Delton car. While this is a Colorado car, I dont know where it ran prior. In my interview with Phil Jensen in 2001, he noted he based the Delton long coaches on early NYC standard gauge cars, edited for the NG look. Phil did spend a lot of time at the Colorado museum at the time as he developed several of the Delton freight cars from exhibits there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts