G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run my Mogul many times over the last year and I would regard it as one of those classic engines of the period both in appearance and the simplicity of operation. Who needs a water level glass when you are familier with your engine's moods, sounds and performance. Well that's all very well but all my other steamers have their moods and sounds also, so to be on the safe side I have a water level LED sensor which fits on top of the Goodall filler with the connection to a battery in the tender. When the boiler is well topped up it's remarkable how long it will run before the LED glows red. Mark you, like all 'good' drivers I do like to top up on a regular basis but this warning is a safe-guard.
The question I address to other Mogul drivers concerns the amount of condensate that these large cylinders want to push out, even a brief stop to top up is enough to douse the fire out when re-opening the steam valve. It seems that even taking great care with the gas and regulator you will have to 'stand by' with your lighter. Of course whilst running there's no problem
What happens with you other Mogul runners? Thanks Trevor

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Just like Roundhouse, the beauty of the Mogul is the oversized cylinders. Much steady running. I have the same condensate issue as you do
but treat it as local knowledge rather than a problem.

jim

·
Registered
620 Posts
And when you top off I assume it is through the Goodall you have located just above the throttle?

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Just open the smokebox door after filling and open up the throttle again and send her on her way with the door open for about 20 secs, then as she passes by, close the door up again. No need for lighters then.

Very steady runners.

David.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hello all,
I just wait for full steam pressure,(about 50Psi)
Then start out in reverse untill the cylinders clear,then forward and off you go.
Also I don't shut down the flame.
But I must also admit,I run propane.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Mogul about a year also and from a cold start it put out a lot of condensation. But after the cylinders are wormed up the amount of condensation is very minimal after stopping and starting. This is a very fun locomotive and looks great. And I’m looking forward to the 4-4-0, this should be just as nice.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
You're not over filling the boiler are you, that might well lead to the excess water being blasted out of the chimney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts