G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My mogul has developed a very bad gimp over time and today I thought I could fix it. I thought it was just the timing. One side looked ok, but the other side had to be adjusted so that the line on the valve touched the steam chest. I moved the engine by hand and things seemed to have improved so I fired the engine up and it ran better than ever in reverse but when I put the engine in foward it went maybe a quarter revolution and slammed to a stop. I tried it again and the same thing. I shut off steam and moved it by hand and although there is a slight stiff spot it moved ok in both directions by hand. But, as soon as I gave it steam it froze in foward again even with me pushing by hand. I checked the reversing valve and the line appears to touch when the engine is in nuetral (which is the way it is supposed to be right???)
So where is my problem
please help!
Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Knowing very little about the accucraft mogul, I would have to assume that it is indeed a timing issue. The lines milled onto valves might be more of an estimate then an exact location. Try retiming the side of the engine that you've already readjusted by hooking up the engine to a bicycle pump or compressed air source.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Just to be nit-picky... the "line" (or groove) has width... which side of the line should align with the block? Should you see ALL of the groove, or just half of it, or should it all be hidden by the block?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts