G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 08/04/2008 8:48 PM
Someone was asking where to get the Accucraft Metal Syringe not long ago. Caboose Hobbies has them in stock (according to their web site) here.

Dwight - That's odd - the price that I was quoted was $50 each plus shipping.....thinking it was somebody having a laff at my expense I binned the e-mail.

$24-ish seems a lot more reasonable to me. If twenty or thirty of us club together and sell our homes we might just be able to get ahold of one.

tac - too poor to afford the words 'poverty-stricken'

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Tac,

You sure you were asking for the Accucraft syringe and not the Aster one? That might explain the price difference.

LOL, Ok let me duck under this ceramic sheeting now.

btw, the brass syringes are as good as you will get, very well made with a replaceable O ring on the plunger. The only place I have not been able to use this is with the 4-4-0 with the new metering tube in the lubricator.

Joel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. A fellow poster here had an extra one that he kindly sent to me. Cliff at Accucraft didn't know when they were going to get them in again, the admin women said it could be up to three months...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By Joel779 on 08/05/2008 10:37 AM
Tac,
You sure you were asking for the Accucraft syringe and not the Aster one? That might explain the price difference.
LOL, Ok let me duck under this ceramic sheeting now.
btw, the brass syringes are as good as you will get, very well made with a replaceable O ring on the plunger. The only place I have not been able to use this is with the 4-4-0 with the new metering tube in the lubricator.
Joel

Tac:

You might try a attaching a 4-5" piece of silcone tubing (or silimar) to the end then it can bend around the lubricator's metering tube.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the hint. I was thinking of a 'step down' tube of some sort, but that should work as well. Just fyi, the operations manual says to 'blow down' the lubricator with risdual steam at the end of the run. This works well if you remember, also it depends on having a place to blow the old water/oil onto the roadbed without making a mess of things. All in all, I prefer the manual extraction of the grunge with a syringe.

Joel

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you Joel. On every other lubricator with a drain, I still use the syringe - much simpler. On the 4-4-0, the opening is pretty darned narrow, so I've been using the drain. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to close it and when I fill it for the next run, my steam oil dribbles out all over everything.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I have found that the lubricatorof my 4-4-0 is self-cleaning, by removing the top, and then opening the drain underneath. Gravity works well. Filling takes a little patience, because of the interference of the tube. Alex

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Dwight- My apologies- I seem to have duplicated what you had stated prior to my short note. I had to leave the computer for a while, and when I got back, I was going to make a comment re the use of a hypo needle, which has worked for me. Forgot to revue your comments. Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts