G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have put this into this forum as I think it could be classed as an extension to the Masterclass.

Accucraft now have both color schemes shown for their versions of the Mason Boge, and they will be available in either Steam, or Electric.

Neither of the is  cheap!   Steam is $2500, Electric is $2300. there is a discount according to the magazines if you order early.

Both look so good!   The views are by David Fletcher of course!

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Well, I think that $2500 is pretty cheap for a live-steam Mason Bogie loco, at least, I would think that if I lived in the USA.

Sadly, by the time it crosses over the vastness of the Great water, and lands here in yUK, it will be £2500, or more.

THEN it starts to look expensive..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

tac the Griper
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Terry - given that the exchange rate is now 2:1, which makes the loco £1250 approx, I can't see why it gets back up to £2500. Your prices should be coming down, not going up.

For the difference, £1250 will buy you a round trip ticket to the US of A to pick up your own $2500 loco and leave you with enough left over for the customs duty.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr Thornton - please note what I wrote - 'Sadly, by the time it crosses over the vastness of the Great water, and lands here in yUK, it will be £2500, or more.'
You STILL pay your prices in $$$, but WE still pay your $$$ price in £££, more or less.
You pay around $1500 for the three-cylinder Shay - we pay around £1500 for the same loco.
I really would be amazed to see the Accucraft Mason bogie here in UK for less than £2000.
As for our prices coming down, such a premise is laffable. I have NEVER seen prices coming down here in UK, and I doubt that anybody who lives here has either.
Try investing, as I did, in track. Last year a box of Aristo-craft 4.5 foot brass track cost £125.99.
This year it costs £294.99.
Does THAT look like a price reduction to you?

Incidentally, from another thread - 'Bachmann K-27...the price is quite reasonable, given the detail, size and looks of the loco. There was a vendor selling them for $650 at the ECLSTS show this weekend, which seemed to surprise even the B-mann rep himself!'

Note that the UK price for this loco is between £640 and £720. YOU do the math.

Best wishes
tac the griper
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Posted By tacfoley on 03/31/2008 11:39 AM
Dear Mr Thornton - please note what I wrote - 'Sadly, by the time it crosses over the vastness of the Great water, and lands here in yUK, it will be £2500, or more.'
You STILL pay your prices in $$$, but WE still pay your $$$ price in £££, more or less.
You pay around $1500 for the three-cylinder Shay - we pay around £1500 for the same loco.
I really would be amazed to see the Accucraft Mason bogie here in UK for less than £2000.
As for our prices coming down, such a premise is laffable. I have NEVER seen prices coming down here in UK, and I doubt that anybody who lives here has either.
Try investing, as I did, in track. Last year a box of Aristo-craft 4.5 foot brass track cost £125.99.
This year it costs £294.99.
Does THAT look like a price reduction to you?
Incidentally, from another thread - 'Bachmann K-27...the price is quite reasonable, given the detail, size and looks of the loco. There was a vendor selling them for $650 at the ECLSTS show this weekend, which seemed to surprise even the B-mann rep himself!'
Note that the UK price for this loco is between £640 and £720. YOU do the math.
Best wishes
tac the griper
www.ovgrs.org

Mr Griper-Foley,

I did read all of your post, and my point is still valid - UK prices should be going down, not up. I'm a UK citizen, so I'm very familiar with the markups, but you don't always have to put up with it. Didn't your friends go to Holland to buy their cars? If you start buying overseas instead of from the local dealer who is getting all the currency-appreciation profits, then he'll maybe get the message. Incidentally, US global companies are reporting record profits from their overseas subsidiaries because of the exchange rate. Your £ buys 2 $$ this week!

An Accucraft loco doesn't have a 240V 3-square-pin plug, so you can buy it anywhere. I buy stuff in the UK and have it shipped over here without any problems. Perhaps you can find a dealer in Hong Kong? South Africa? Jamaica?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,
Especially Tac! I know that this quite high tax country has its many and manifest faults (& I will not elaborate) but can we 'cool it' a bit please?

Believe it or not things are getting better regarding prices, Accucraft can be bought in the UK can be a very good price, as Accucraft UK seems to be doing something about the (previous) high prices. I certainly hope that it continues.

For verification look at the prices that Steve at Back2Bay6 charges for AMS coaches, and I have no connection, but both he and Accucraft UK are to be commended for their initiative. Whether other suppliers will do the same I do not know.

The US mail service messed things up with their 'airmail only' edict as our playthings are heavy, and thus have a high extra loading when bought from the USA, and that is before HMG get their grubby, and sticky (to our pockets detriment) hands on it!.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Putting the cost aside (which because it is live steam is reasonable) a Mason Bogie might just get me to go and purchase one! I don't model that era and (crazily enough) that is a good reason to do it! I would prefer not to mix live steamers and "sparkies" as they really are two completely different aspects of the hobby! I own a coal fired 3/4" scale Juliette made by my father and it's great fun to run but is a totally different experience! (By the way, it IS extremely addictive!!) ;)

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hui All,

I sent a note to accucraft UK asking a possible price in the UK for an electric one.

The reply is as follows - IF ordered now the price which will stay at the price , which is £1795 inclusive of tax and carriage. There is a strong possibility due to rising costs, in China that they could rise soon.

That verifies my thoughts on what I expected BUT als it is still too much for me and my circumstances; it equates to $1.21 to the pound, but I think there would be in the USA your sales tax would need to be added anyway so that exchange rate would be a bit higher.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Peter,

Sales tax is a local thing. Most of us who order through mail order live in different states from where the item is being sold. Therefore, sales tax does not apply. For example, I live in Pennsylvania. If I buy a locomotive from a dealer in New York, I pay their asking price and shipping, but no sales tax.

Local dealers are basically non-existent. If I were to walk in to one of those stores I mail order from, they would also have to charge me the sales tax. Here sales tax is set by each state. In Pennsylvania, the sales tax is 6%. In Deleware, they have no sales tax, etc.. In many cases, the price online vs the price in store are different, too. That's a different subject entirely.

Mr Griper Foley, you've done the buy trains in the USA or Canada and carry them back before, if I remember correctly. Did you get penalized and charged import tax/duties when you returned home? I know my parents were impulsive and bought me a LGB C&S mogul in 1991 in a toy shop in Amsterdam and carried it home. I think they were charged for tax twice on that, but they didn't really care, it was more fun for them to find it on their trip to Europe and tote the engine home. At the time, they could have bought the loco in the US for about $600. I think they ended up paying well over $1000 for it. In the end, they have a way better story than "I called up train world and placed the order".

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts