G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess there must have been many posts about these steamers over the years, indeed looking back through my YouTube videos I have recorded several runs running on my railway resulting in favourable comments from MLS members,
I am not sure about the scale of Accucraft's K28s, but the relative bulk in relation to my Cab forward and my friends Big Boy seems huge, especially as they ran on a narrower gauge track.
Whoever did the design work deserves credit in as much that I cannot recall any faults over the years, certainly in my model, unlike say my Daylight which had work done to enable water to be pumped into the boiler with out the feed tube blowing out.
I haven't made a post on MLS for sometime for one reason or another and my original details appear to have been lost (main131) although I have got a new email address now.(so now I am a new boy)
The new format seems nice and tidy!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Trevor, thanks for reminding me to look at your video's again and you should be used to "large engines" as you are into gauge 3. The bridge and platforms on your great layout have just enough clearance for the K28 and I love your wide curves, what radius are they? For me having large 1:20.3 scale engines is a bit like having gauge 3 but on the common 45mm gauge but the gauge 3 is impressive so what scale and gauge is that?
Russell
Hi Russell, yes, I am used to running G3 which, if you check out the appropriate web site which David has indicated, you will see the scale and gauges listed therein,
I dedicate the outside of my 3 track garden railway (14' radius) to the larger gauge and combine some (tricky) point work which accommodates both G1and G3. This allows me to use part of G3 as extras siding space at meetings.
The middle and inner roads are strictly G1
In 25 years of running I suspect I have experienced plenty of excitement and horror stories.
Just this last season I have had a £4000 loco plunge to earth and also a visitor set off without coupling up securely and intent in watching his water level. It's like the infamous car accident insurance claim...The tree came out of the fog and hit my rear!
If visiting the UK your welcome to visit but I have probably put you off now?
All the best Trevor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For modelling purposes Gauge 3 is wonderful since it is nearly identical in scale with IIm (1:22.5) Great electric models have been produced in 1:22.5 which will always remain my favourite. Kiss K-36 is the right size, while you need a small crane to lift Accucraft's... I wish Aster had produced more in 1:22.5 live steam when there was time for this... At least they made the C&S Mogul! Happy 2022, Zubi
Hi Zubi Of course not all G3 are large and heavy to lift around.
This small 0-4-0 saddle tank (based on similar originals that scurried around Burton's brewery's in the UK) is coal fired.
It's pretty well self contained with hand and axle pumps, visual water glass, blower and blow down and drain cocks etc.
Make sure you've raked out the grate before you pop it into your carrier bag on the way home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts