G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just unpacked the new Accucraft J&S coaches.  They are very nice looking and will be a significant addition to the railroad.  They do not roll as freely as the San Juan cars.  The brass springs that are used to pick up the current for the lights add a lot of friction.   I'm going to bend them back for better rolling as I really don't need the lights.

I'll let a rivet counter do a detailed review of the pros and cons, but for my money they are an excellent product and look very nice behind the Bachmann K.

Thanks to Rich Niemeyer for helping me to post the pictures.  I forgot that you can't have a open space in the user name.

Cheers,

Chuck N

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Chuck,

They look very nice! I see you got #306. The Chili Line car. What is the other number? My son and I are just going out the door to pick-up my two, #280 and #306. I don't see marker lights. Does it come with these?
As far as the rolling quality, you might want to contact Phil's Narrow Gauge about doing the re-bearing work on the trucks. As soon as I get my cars home, I'm going to remove the trucks and send them off to be reworked. You will be very satisfied with his work.:cool:

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
RE: Accucraft J&S arrived!

Gary
From the AMS web site ==> Jackson & Sharp Plastic Coach - D&RGW Green 4 car set
(#256, #280, #304, #306)

Chuck got #256 and #306, I kept #280 and #304. He should pose one of those cars with an LGB open platform car just to show the real difference between them [ besides the color].

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

Sweet! They look great with the Bachmann K-27!

For the rolling issue, you could try a dab of wd-40 on the brass springs, I did this with the AMS Caboose and it helped tremendously and didn't interfere with the electrical.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary and Jim:

I know that the Accucraft website mentioned marker lights, but they aren't on these coaches.  I wondered all along whether or not they would be there as each coach in a train wouldn't have the lights!

Here are some comparison pictures.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Chuck,
    Thanks for posting the pics.  They look great.  I suspected they would be larger than LGB coaches, but there is really a significant difference!  Between  the AMS cars (freight stock as well as the new coaches) and the new K-27, the overall appearance is going to be outstanding. 
     It's clear in my case, I've alot of bridge work to do to get this 1:20 scale stuff to squeeze through.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  What's your opinion of the inside detail?  Another thought.  You might want to try some electrically conductive lube on the pickup springs to see if that will ease rolling.  Seems a shame not to see the interior lighting during the evening or at dusk.

Guess I'm on the way to Albquerque this weekend to get mine. 

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Wow!! The anticipation is building!!! Mine should be here in two days! Thanks for giving us the pics!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
We just got back from Jonathan's place. The cars are beautiful! AND no, they don't have marker lights. It wouldn't be difficult to add them. I purchased a set of markers from Trackside Details. I'm going to see how they would look. I haven't unpacked the cars yet. When I do, I'll get some pix. Jonathan said he shipped quite a few out this week, as far as Denver, mostly up and down  California. He HAD 28 cases he said!:cool: Thank you for the comparison pix of the Accucraft and LGB cars. I have some LGB and I'll see for myself tomorrow. 

I put my deposit down on a Accucraft C19 Moffat green #346 and I'll have to wait a few weeks for that delivery. Bummer!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif This is like Christmas morning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can anyone tell me if these cars have the newer wheel tread shape (like the new logging cars) or the older style with virtually no fillet (box cars, flat cars, etc.).  I have found that the logging cars track much nicer and are far less likely to derail than the other stock.  I'm hoping AMS put the newer style on these cars.

Bret

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I haven't checked the wheel profile. Everything is put away for the moment--rain,snow,sleet due in here tomorrow. I can say that they ran around my layout without any problems. That was not the case with the early AMS cars. I had to do a lot of tweaking with the wheels on my early cars to get them to go around once without derailing. This was especially true with the box cars and the tank car. I never had any problems with the reefers, flats, and gons.

But it did take me 2 years before I could get the Accucraft K-28 to go around once with out coming off the tracks!!

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

It seems to me the ride height on these new cars are a little high, maybe it's just me. Seems a little needs taken out of the bolster.  Very nice looking cars none the less! great addition to 1:20.3!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi Chuck:

Could you later post side and top aerial view comparison photos of the Accucraft J&S coach with the Bachmann J&S coach and the Aristo Craft 1:29 scale standard gauge heavy weight car?

Thank you
Norman

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Norman:

I would if I could, but I can't. I don't have any Bachmann coaches and I don't know anyone in the area who does.  I will try to take some pictures of an Aristo heavyweight and the Accucraft coach.

I think that the aristos are longer, narrower and lower.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Norman:

Here are the comparison pictures with an Aristocraft heavyweight.  The Aristos are indeed longer, lower, and narrower.

Hope this helps.  Sorry I can't show the Bachmann coaches.

Chuck N

·
Registered
64 Posts
I spoke with Chris at Accucraft yesterday about the wheel flange question I submitted earlier.  He confirmed that these new cars along with all NEWLY produced rolling stock are supposed to be fitted with the improved wheel sets (larger fillet).  This is great news as the new wheels track much better and are far less likely to derail.  He also said the new ball bearing wheels have also had the wheel flange modified. 

Bret

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts

Two different scales on one gauge:

Two different gauges, one scale:

Bob Richardson Photo, Denver Public Library collection

(I tripped on the above image yesterday while researching a story I'm working on, and thought it was a neat comparison. Didn't think I'd be able to use it so quickly.)

Incidentally, the B'mann passenger cars are virtually the same size as the LGB cars, maybe a touch longer, but that's it.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kevin:

Thanks for the picture.  It really shows the difference in gauge.

Next time we get our knickers in a knot on answering the scale/gauge questions, just show those pictures. 

As they say, "one picture is worth a thousand words".

Chuck N

1 - 20 of 36 Posts