G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys; got the Futaba R.C. 4 ch. system installed in my Acc. IDA with the newly installed 1/2" oversize cylinders. I'm only using 2 channels to operate the throttle & the reverser, but after running a few minutes, the servo linkages start to "quiver" & then really start to move all over the place!!! Is this what's referred to as "glitching"? I know what most everybody is going to say; get a Spectrum system!!! I bought the Futaba sys. about 7 yrs. ago & it's been in the box ever since, so I figured I'd, at least, try & use it, rather than discard it! It's 75 mhz, so I guess that's the 1st. strike against it. I did use it earlier this year, on my Aristo mike, to just operate a steam whistle & I noticed that after running the mike for awhile, the whistle servo would start "jerking" & blow the whistle intermittently. This wasn't a problem there, as it didn't affect the running, because I was still using the original Aristo R.C. for that. I kind of thought there might be some kind of "radio wave" interference with the two systems being side by side, but now, with the IDA, that's not present. The only other thing that's common between these two installations is the presence of a water level detection system in each one! The mike has the sight glass (which we all know is not all that reliable!), but the IDA has nothing, & with that small boiler I'm not going to chance running it out of water!
I did some test runs today with the WLD system shut off, but ran out of daylight. I can't imagine that the WLD sys. module could be causing some kind of interference (it's mounted right next to the Futaba receiver in the tender I'm running behind the IDA), but I suppose anything is possible! Since I'm new to R.C. I sure would appreciate any help with this problem! Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
lvst4ever
I have a 2 channel Futaba R.c. running on one of my bachmanns not on my Ruby, the type of jerkiness you describe does sound like either interference or loss of transmission. I notice that if I am near to some devices when I am not running the engine, it is stopped, then the engine will start and stop and jerk around. It does the same thing if I turn the reciever on before I turn on the transmitter. I don't know anything about the wld system, but if it is electronic and it is near the receiver, that might be your culprit.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
The "glitching" is caused by all the metal to metal contact of all the moving parts on a live steamer. That is why we have all moved on to the Spektrum radio systems. . Don't waste you time and money trying to use a 75 mhz radio in a live steamer, sell it to someone with a boat or car and put the money toward a Spektrum system. They have come down in price with the introduction of some new models.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
lvst4ever,
You have private email sent to you.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
I successfully used a Futaba 75MHz system with my live steamers for a while, but it was a high-end FM heli system with PCM, so I had no trouble with glitching. I bought it about a month before Spectrums were introduced, and it was a helluva lot more expensive. I've since gone to a Spektrum.

Futaba does make conversion modules for their Tx's to convert them to 2.4 GHz, but you'd also have to buy a new Rx, and it would probably end up cost you around the same as a new Spektrum system by the time you were done.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
The "glitching" is caused by all the metal to metal contact of all the moving parts on a live steamer.

Yeah, in spades. My local r/c plane hobby store guy mentioned it to me - apparently any kind of moving metal connection causes interference.

Two suggestions. There used to be a glitch suppression module available from someone - can't remember who/where, but I do recall it was $50+ so probably outside the budget.

I have 2 old FM Tx/Rx radios - one came with my Roundhouse loco. Both receivers are unfazed if the transmitter signal goes away; they just carry on with what they are doing. So I stand close to the loco and get it going, then I turn the transmitter off until a speed change is called for. The loco continues as it is with no glitching (no signal to glitch.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys! I'm aware of the "servo smoothers" that are available, but with the slower response they provide, would my throttle respond fast enough when I'm switching cars around? My IDA is going to be used, primarily, for yard switching service & even though it runs at much slower speeds now with the 1/2" cylinders, I still have to "feather"the throttle to get it to start moving. Without a quick throttle response I'd slam into the cars I was trying to hook up to! I'm just trying to "do my homework" & if I can make the Futaba 75mhz sys. work without a lot of extra time & money, that's the way I'll go temporarily! Eventually I'll get a Spectrum system!

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Jim, You won't be sorry! Mine works great even with the reciever and antennas INSIDE a brass tender!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts