G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There a four connectors between the engine and tender. Three of them I believe I know what they are for. Water from the tender to the engine , water (bypass) back to the tender from the engine , gas supply from the tender to the engine and the fourth I am not sure of its use. Is it steam or hot water back to the tender ????? and how do you drain it after a run ???? Comments appreciated......Sal

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Sal,

The fourth connection is a slip over hose that connects the heater valve to a line in the gas tank water bath. It uses steam to heat the water in the bath.

To drain the locomotive, there is a "blowdown" that is accucraft's typical vacuum release valve. This is located under the footplate and can be quite inaccessable. That is what the silver rod with the holes in it is for, so you can hook it on one of the handles of the blowdown valve and push/pull it to open/close the valve. Otherwise, there is no way to drain the entire boiler, except turning the whole loco over and draining out through the fill hole.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water in the tender for the boiler supply also surrounds the gas tank and all of it is heated ????
You also answered what that rod is for....I was looking for where it might have fallen off from. Thanks for your help on this. Sal

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Sal,

There are two seperate water baths in the tender. The oil tank lifts off to reveal the gas tank and it's bath (may be a tight fit), while the tank under the water hatch (contains handpump) is for the boiler feed. Only the water in the gas tank reservoir is heated.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to bother you...wish that information was in the manual....thanks again...Sal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts