G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Does anyone have an idea on when the Climax live steam will be released? I hate the thoughts of putting up money for something that doesn't have a delivery date.

Johnny

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
As with most models from AccuCraft, it pays to write a couple of hundred dates on little pieces of paper and throw them up in the air.

Then pick one up.

You are as likely as anyone else to pick up one approximating to the arrival date.

It'll turn up one day, never you mind, and if the lessons from the Hudson have been learned, it will be a beaut.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm waiting for this one as well. I talked to Cliff from Accucraft at a recent steamup, and he mentioned there are many others locos ahead in the queue for production, so it may likely be much later this year if not 2010.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I think I'll wait until late summer / fall to plunk my money down.

Johnny

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By KYYADA on 01/20/2009 6:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'll wait until late summer / fall to plunk my money down.

Johnny

Don't plunk your dollars down till you've seen the banana.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't plunk your dollars down till you've seen the banana.

Good point. Note that Accucraft has changed the picture that accompanies the Climax description on their web site. Instead of the photo of the handbuilt model (half-sized Kozo clone), they've put up a nice line drawing of a wood-burning two-truck engine, prob'ly a 45-tonner.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Joel,

The drawing is nicer than the photo was. The prototype photo was not a Kozo clone. It was significantly smaller and simpler. For example, there was no real smokebox that was separate from the boiler. This is what a Kozo clone looks like:

Ed

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ed,

I'd agree, that Climax in your photo is the spitting image of the Kozo 3/4"=1' design, and one gorgeous engine, to boot. Not sure where the one in Accucraft's photo came from -- freelance, perhaps?

Joel

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I always took the Climax photo on the Accucraft site to be a generic example of "a Climax", not necessarily what the Accucraft model is going to look like, just like most of the 4-4-0 photos showed the old Legend model rather than the new 1:20.3 4-4-0. The lettered model will be Mich-Cal no. 4 (1st no. 4, there was also a second no. 4 which was a Shay), so a quick Google search turned up a couple of pics of the prototype here: http://www.trainweb.org/foothill/images/mical4.html

The drawing they're now showing on the Accucraft site seems to match the second image of no. 4 with a steel cab. Looks like quite an attractive engine, especially with the wooden cab and large oil lamp headlight in the top photo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts