G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK The livery is a bit strong but looked resplendent in todays warm autumnal sunshine.
The C16s are great little engines.
Although they are 8 coupled, the middle two axles are flangeless giving the engine good track versatility.
They are easy to light with just a gentle pop down the chimney. When the gas tank in the tender is full you will get a good 40 min run with only one water top up.
It runs smoothly on 50 psi and there is no need for it to 'blow off'!
You don't really need RC as these engines are totally predictable.
These engines are a huge amount of fun.
I know where you can get one from if you want one (and you do ) but it won't be mine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,
I also have an Accucraft C-16 (mine's #278) and it is a delightful loco; she looks good in her black livery and fluted domes and runs smoothly with a distinctive chuff. The only down side is that mine liberally coats the running rails with oil. The upshot of this is that on even the very modest grades on my line, after a few circuits she starts to slip, when she reaches that point, the R/C becomes essential! If anyone can suggest a way of lessening the oil problem, I'd be very pleased!
Martin

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By topshed on 10/08/2008 6:30 PM
Hi,
I also have an Accucraft C-16 (mine's #278) If anyone can suggest a way of lessening the oil problem, I'd be very pleased!
Martin

Just remove the front brake shoes. They catch the oil and deposit it on the wheels and track. There are elaborate schemes on here to make catch pans and all that but removing the shoes is just as effective. I have the 278. They are great little engines.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trevor

Very nice photograph. I agree that the C16 is a real winner. Rod and I ran ours last week pulling a rake of the heavy Bachmann tippers. Both of these locomotives have been slightly modified to reduce the oil flow and to soften the springing a little. The pulling power for a relatively small loco (as compared to the Ks) is incredible. A few years ago we were testing a K27 with a long rake including gondolas loaded with concrete bricks (see Youtube clip). After that run my C16 was tried with the same load, and whilst it could not pull it from standing start, with a little start assistance, it pulled the load round the same track.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Communi...rumid/11/postid/53674/view/topic/Default.aspx
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/postid/53674/view/topic/Default.aspx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,
In response to jfrank's suggestion about removing the front brakeshoes to reduce the amount of oil the C-16 deposits on the rails, I gave it a try and what a difference it makes! She'll now pull a long train with no slipping (probably a longer train than the real 278 would manage - upgrade at least!). Thanks for the suggestion.
Keep steamin'
Martin 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts