G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These engines are so nice and easy to run I am just suprised that everone is not running them.
Ran mine today making sure that there was adequate steam oil in the tank. Dont be impatient with this task as you will find room for more oil if you move the engine backwards and forwards. It makes a difference with the smoothness of your run, as indeed does further lubrication underneath. ie. pistons axels and all moving parts.
Express the liquid gas before connecting to the burner. This will help a lot with a smooth light up!
Ten minutes will give you 50 psi making sure that if the weather is cool, which it was today (see video) that you have some warm water under the gas tank in the tender.
I had a good 1/2 hour run from what is basically a rather small gas tank. The only thing that I topped up was the boiler water which I did using the 'Goodall valve' and the usual squeeze pump bottle.
I only had three Bachmann carriages on the back so I never had the regulater valve open more the 1/4 turn.
Very nice and a lot of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ch4BKY6U0A

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Nice train and layout!! I love my #42, it always runs like a champ. I get up to 45 minute runs with no refills. I have done a few mods to mine including a "spit valve" to clear the cylinders, a wood cab and RC.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I have to agree, the C16 is probably one of Accucrafts best products. I have run mine for many hours and love it. My brother has one also.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
suprised that everone is not running them

Where do you get the idea that we're not running them?

Mine's never given any problems despite several years of intermittent operation. Great engine!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Steve,
Thanks for comments re. my 'set-up'
I have 'dug out' another pic which shows Rod Blakeman here in the UK gassing up, what looks like his Mogul.
Rod is a good friend and is something of an authority with Accucraft. (Mr Fixit!) Trevor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trevor
I use my C16 Colorado & Southern #34 on Rod’s Southdown layout at most shows it has been a real workhorse from day one the only thing that lets it down is me !!
As for the lubricator, being a dead leg style I find it is the most reliable one I have 9-10 ml of oil in 1/2 hour run every time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts