G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Tallahassee we added a new Live Steamer to our group. He got a brand new 0-6-0 from Royce and we fired it up for the first time this past Saturday. Visually it is a very pleasing engine. There is enough detail to please a newbe or really anyone. We went through the normal oil, water, gas, lube thing and check the engine for any loose parts prior to firing it up. All seemed well, so we lit the burner. A pleasent pop was heard as the burner ignited and stablized in a few seconds. No further adjustments were made and in about 8 minutes we had pressure up. It was chilly out Saturday morning so we added some water to the tender gas bath to further stabilize the burner. We opened the throttle , cleared the cylinders , and off it went. It ran steady and at a very controllable speed pulling 2 passenger cars. The first run lasted about 25 minutes and it never missed a beat. Later we repeated the run with the same results. Someone joked that it ran like a Roundhouse. Accucraft has a winner here and I am surprised that there are no other threads posted on this engine. Any other feedback would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The engines are very nice, especially for the price. Out of the box mine pulled 10 Aristo freight cars and 6 heavyweights at 20psi. I put R/C in mine and last saturday had mine under steam for 5 hours straight playing switcher in a yard without a hint of a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By SalM on 11/02/2008 8:21 PM
Someone joked that it ran like a Roundhouse. Accucraft has a winner here and I am surprised that there are no other threads posted on this engine. Any other feedback would be welcome.

Perhaps we were waiting for your report Nick. Thanks for posting it. Anything new from Accucraft is of interest to a lot of us. Still to come, the K36, T12, Mason Bogie, EBT #12, SP NG #9, and standard gauge SP 2-10-2 to name a few. Keep up the good work Accucraft.

Anyone have any pictures of the new 0-6-0?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Just for clarification for anyone who hasn't noticed: there are 2 Accucraft 0-6-0s. Under the American Mainline name that Accu uses for all 1/29th scale models, is this delightful model, which I assume is the one described in this thread:

On the Accucraft website, you will find an SP S-12 0-6-0 model in 1/32nd scale.

The AML loco is $1475, and the SP S-12 is/was $2200 and is marked as 'sold out'.

Further thought in subsequent edit: looking at the two pics side by side, I can't believe the 1/29th model isn't using the same boiler and running gear as the 1/32nd model? Is it really 11% larger?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Posted By Charles on 11/04/2008 9:29 AM
Larger, about the size of the Aster Mike.

Charles, thanks - I recall you posting good things about it.
On even further reflection...  if they used the same gear, then why would one be 'sold out' ?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Pete,

I saw one that George had at Dan Stroka's steamup last month. A nice runner and definitely 1:29. It uses the semi-Stephenson's inboard valve gear like the 1:20.3 mogul, so the Walschaerts valve gear is strictly decorative. The Walschaerts gear on the 1:32 scale S-12 is functional and operates D valves.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alan...if you are correct on the valve gear on the 1/29 I am totally snowed.................been there before.......Sal

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
As Alan as indicated the make up determined the cost thus the difference between the 1:32 0-6-0 and the 1:29 0-6-0. Seems to me to be like the AC Mike a great starter engine. Probably has Lewis thinking twice about the 0-4-0 he had in the works with projected higher price tag.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Does anyone know if anything other than the unpainted engines are available currently? Also, there are a number of retailers that have the S-12 in stock, most notably Ridge Road Station.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Pete, yes I was refering to the 1/29 0-6-0. Very happy with it. and jlinde if that is the one you're looking for I believe Royce @ Quisenberry Station still has some road names in stock. Nick Jr

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
If anyone has pics of their 1/29 0-6-0, I'd be very interested in seeing them. The only pics I've seen thus far are from the accucraft website (posted above) and of one for sale on ebay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a newbie to live steam, I currently do not have one at all, I have the opportunity to get one of these AML 0-6-0's brand new for just under $1K. I have been interested in getting a live steam for a while and I am wondering if these are a real good choice for a novice. I have watched vids and looked at pics of live steam ups for a while and I see that most of the pics and vids show owners tinkering with their engines, I do not expect live steams to be as simple as running an electric engine, but roughly how much time is spent fixing/tinkering compared to actual running time. My family and I tend to run the engines for about an hour at a time, then the kids 8 and 6 yrs old get to start diverting their attention. So I am wondering if I would be spending 30min tinkering just to get the engine running, I might loose them even before the engine runs. So I guess My questions are:
1. how easy are these to run?
2. how much set up time is needed to get the engine to run.
3. how much time is needed after we are finished running for the day, post running greasing and such?
4. the specs say this engine can run on 5' Dia curve, my min on our layout is 8' provided this engine does not go into one siding that uses 4' dia turnouts, how forgiving is the engine with less than perfect track? in my experience of looking at pics and vids of people running live steam, they are 99% of the time running them on raised roadbed, I gathered that it was to make it easier to tinker with the engine keeping the owner up off his/her knees. Which brings us back around to question 1 and 2, are live steamers so tempermental that they require a lot of tinkering to get to run?

I know, lots of questions and from a newbie they can be so pestering.

thanks in advance
Kevin

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you can you should go to Diamondhead, Mississippi in January. There you can talk to many people who have extensive knowledge of small scale live steam. These people include dealers and importers. There will be many different engines for you to see and perhaps even operate. See http://www.diamondhead.org/ for information on the steamup.

I personally recommend a Roundhouse engine for a first engine. There are many reasons for this not the least of which is the common saying "Nothing runs like a Roundhouse." At any rate you should study the information on the Roundhouse web site.
http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/

Also you should spend some time studying the information available on the southern steam trains web site
http://www.southernsteamtrains.com/index.htm even though an Aster may be a little expensive for a first engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in Vermont, and honestly, doubt I will be able to make it down there. kids in school, work, if it was closer, I would be able to.

Th big attraction to this 0-6-0 was the price, it seems to be a nice engine, and this one in particular is affordable. the chance is here to get it, if I pass on it and get say a ruby, I doubt I will be able to come back and get one of these for this price.

Is it an engine that can be manageable for a novice?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Kevin
In response to your inquiry:
1. how easy are these to run?
Water, oil, fuel then lit, throttle

2. how much set up time is needed to get the engine to run.
From prep to steam about 10 minutes once you get the route down.

3. how much time is needed after we are finished running for the day, post running greasing and such?
A quick wipe down, turn over for light machine oil on moving parts and drain the water (Vermont do not leave water in boiler to freeze).

4. the specs say this engine can run on 5' Dia curve, my min on our layout is 8' provided this engine does not go into one siding that uses 4' dia turnouts, how forgiving is the engine with less than perfect track?
Depends on suspension or the lack thereof. Seems most engines do well on reasonable track straights, its the curves and switches that can make it a challenge at times.

BTW- Cabin Fever in York PA (same weekend as DH) could be within reason for a weekend trip (2 mainline tracks and 1 smaller)

http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/index.html

Check out the 2008 photos

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Kevin - I'm in a similar position to your own and have been researching live steam for the last several months. My impression is that the AML 0-6-0 is a fine choice for a first engine; it's not particularly complicated, is fairly large, and appears to have fine running characteristics.

And having attended one steam up thus far, I believe a lot of the complications related to tinkering (e.g., chasing the engine around the yard) can be relieved via a radio control installation. RC doesn't address pre or post-run activities (steaming the engine up or cleaning it), but I think it's preferable to inserting one's hand into a miniature cab each time your locomotive begins to slow on a 1% grade. The purists here will no doubt disagree! You'll find that many adherents of live steam take pleasure in the various ancillary activities associated with running a steam locomotive.

As a father of a 6 year old son and 3.5 year old daughter, though, I can empathize with your concern about stretching their attention spans. Still, I'm increasingly finding that my children will participate in my hobbies if they can actively help me in some manner - no shortage of tasks with live steam!

Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Since you live in Vermont, you might want to get in touch with the Vermont Garden Railway Society which does have a small live steam contingent. If you are interested, contact me offline.

The decision as to whether to use radio control really comes down to personal preference and there is no "right" answer. I like the controlability which radio control affords along with not having to chase models down. My good friend, Larry Green, likes the hands-on feel of manual control and, because his layout has no grades, he manages to set his engines up for steady running without very much chasing. Your best bet may be to buy an engine and get to know it by running manually and then deciding whether you want to add radio control.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
One of the new 1/29 Accucraft 0 - 6 - 0's ran at my house today. Right out of the box it ran very well. Fast, slow or in between. Your basic fun engine....................... fuel, oil, water and run. Accucraft seems to have a real winner here for a starter engine. It is metal, (no plastic) has a tender, and is a nice size and a good runner. Accucraft is able to give you a good runner made out of metal with some nice detail because they were able to save money over their competition by not installing all that hokey "Sound equipment". Also, like mentioned above the valve gear assemblies on the sides are just for show. Their is a rod from the reverser that runs under engine to a chest between the cylinders that operate the steam events. A less expensive but good way to do it on a engine like this. Their is no springing (no big deal) and the drivers and main rods appear to me to be made out of the same type of cheaper metal (another no big deal) that the competition uses. When liteing for the first time, make sure that the adjustment ring that covers the air inlet holes at the back of the burner are not completely covered so that the fire will pop back to the burner. Nothing I have said is to be taken as a criticism. This seems to be a awesome engine for the price. Made out of metal, has Accucrafts attention to cosmetics and detail, real steam sounds (not recorded
), and ran well out of the box. Around the track today we all gave it
thumbs up.

By the way, did I say that I do not like fake sound systeams............................

1 - 20 of 61 Posts