G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to Accucraft on the 4-4-0 engines that will be on the water in May. In discussing some of the changes they made, I was told that they now have an adjustable lubricator to allow better control of the amount of oil that is added to the steam line. Several months ago, I had passed on the different threads from this forum that had covered the topic and it seems like they are really listening to what we have to say and are trying to meet our wishes (within reason...it is a business that must make a profit). I don't have any real details, will see if I can get a picture of it sometime, but either way this is good news for their future engines...and maybe some back-fit possibilities if they make some spares/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
That is a step in the right direction, now if they only would install "deadleg" designs!

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
The needle-valve lubricator is true. I was up at Accucraft yesterday to pick something up from Cliff and he showed me the "Col. Boone" (which will be at the Phoenix Con btw). Simply gorgeous!! Accucraft outdid themselves on this one! I saw the adjustable lubricator. Unfortunately, I never thought to look at how it's hooked up to the steam line.

Ultimately, I don't think it's really a problem provided one uses the correct high-temperature steam oil. With all the Accucraft locos out there running all the time, I haven't heard of a lot of coked-up superheaters - a few here and there, but even those mostly a few years back before the need to use the correct oil was realized.

With regard to the lubricator, Cliff said the big fear was that people might run them with the needle closed (without proper oil flow) and damage the loco. He said he's written an extensive "warning" for the manual. I'm glad Accucraft has shown faith in their customers and made this change instead of taking the "safe" path to cover their own backside. Way to go Accucraft!! Good job all around on the 4-4-0!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am puzzled so please explain " coked up superheaters" , If the oil is added just before the cylinders how does coking due to excess oil happen ?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Generally the coked up supereaters occurs where the oil is added in the cab between the throttle and the superheater. But, it can sometimes occur in the smokebox if the oil used was not real Steam Oil, but rather someone used chainsaw oil or Motor oil or something like 3-in-1 and the connection from the oiler is too close to the superheater. Oil can also be sucked backwards into the superheater when the engine is cooling down and that can get cooked and coke up by the next steamup.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dwight - one of the mods to my Accucraft three-cylinder Shay was the fitting of David Bailey's modified lubricator with a fine needle adjustment. To begin with, before it was fitted, it was a bit of a lube-hog, as I found out when having to shut down early one afternoon because of a hailstorm.

Now, I find that not only do I get much-extended runs of almost an hour from the double-size gas tank, but that the lube lasts the entire run as well.

My Garratt, on the other paw, seems to be consuming gas AND lube at an unacceptable rate, now that we have all fitted to new gas tank....a leaking connection is suspected, but in spite of the use of teflon thread-lock tape, the problem is still there. The other two also running had the same problem with excessive gas consumption./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

Graders

tac
www.ovgrs.org

1 - 8 of 8 Posts