G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I wonder whether anyone has done anything about this? I didn't like the forward slope of the boiler. Not only did the smokebox appear to be raised too much, the front (coupler) on my loco seemed about 1/8 inch too low when compared with other scale models:

After a closer look at the articulated engine, I noticed that the smokebox end might be lowered as follows:

A new block was milled from mild steel to lift the front:

The smokebox saddle had to be re-worked with much smaller plungers:

The result is a boiler that's as level as I wanted it to be - the horizontal lines on the cutting mat my wife uses for her quilting provided the benchmark:
Although the space beneath the smokebox iis now crammed like on the prototype, the articulated motion is not hampered. Here's a photo of a run on my test track with a radius of 9 feet:
Cheers
Michael

>

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Michael,

Thank you for the post. I have not had mine apart ---- so do not see what the additional dimension was that was done for the milled block that was added to the front.

Ingenious solution to the reverser with cutting 2/3 off the cog wheel!!!

Since there is very little (if any) vertical play on the hinging between engines, do you still have full rail contact with all drivers?

Again,

Thanks for the post,

Alan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan,

the original frame that supports the pilot and cab is made from brass sheet. The height is 14mm

Here's a sketch of the replacement block I made from a piece of steel I had in my scrapbox:)
Since the new height is 17 mm, the pilot and cab are raised by 3 mm - here's again the photo of the new arrangement:
At the opposite end, the smokebox saddle was lowered by 3mm - this was somewhat easier to do, but needs more explanation, so pls let me know if this is of interest to you.

And by the way - yes, all drivers touch the rail as long as it's fairly level.

Michael

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info on the front end:

The photo shows the brackets- old hole peeping above screw (firebox support in front), and (yet unpainted) re-used brass bracket shining behind (rear cab floor support)

Here's more details of the smokebox saddle:

The photo shows the brass tube cemented with epoxy, i.e. the whole space was filled with epoxy, then milled down to just cover the brass tube, the sliding plate can be screwed on using the old threads:

This lowers the smokebox end by 1/8 inch. So, together with the front being raised by 1/8 inch, the boiler slope of 1/4 inch has been eliminated.

Michael:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts