G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a model of D&RGW #13 which never ran in CO, but was sold to the EBT as #3.

Funnily enough, it isn't a very long loco - only 20' 6" from back of cab wall to front outer edge of smokebox. It looks to use a 'standard' Baldwin boiler very like the one on the Accucraft 4-4-0.

Can anyone put a ruler next to their 4-4-0 and tell me the distance from rear of cab (wall) to front edge of smokebox? I'm looking for 12 1/8".
The other "issue" is that Accucraft says the wheels on the 4-4-0 are 2.1", which makes them 42". This loco used 40" wheels. Can anyone tell me if the 2-6-0 has 2" wheels?

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Accucraft 4-4-0 length? 40" wheels?

Sorry the 9" was from the front of the cab

That figures, as the cabs are usually about 3" long. Looks like that loco uses a similar boiler to #13.

Now, am I really ready to chop a live steamer chassis. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

Pete,
Take notice that the prototype has no counter weights on the drivers...hmmmm.
Noel

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

You are right Dwight. Rods down and if you look VERY close you can barely see them.
Go ahead and bash it Pete. Only Roger and his calibrated eyeballs will know any discrepancies, but then it will be live steam and he won't even give it a second glance.
How in the H! do you do spell check on this forum anyhow?
Noel

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I believe that if you are using FireFox for a browser, the spell check is built-in. Microsoft's Internet Explorer has an "add-in" called "IESpell" that you can download from Microsoft, it adds an entry to the "Tools" menu... you highlight the text to be checked and click on the tool...

If one of those doesn't float yer boat, any book store will sell you a dictionary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts