G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Accucraft 4-4-0 headlamp casting has a bulb in it. I was wondering if any one else has a bulb in there engine. I do not see any wires coming out of the headlamp casting so I assume it is a non-working bulb. I don't want to take the headlamp apart because you end up chipping the paint on the bolts.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Don, my 4-4-0 headlight has Accucraft's usual dummy "bulb" pressed into the center of the reflector. The glass lens is held in place by a spring ring, which should come off with a tiny screwdriver, toothpick or even your fingernail.

I haven't gotten to electrifying mine yet, but it looks like it can be done without removing headlight. After taking lens out,"bulb" should twist out with pliers. Drill a hole for new bulb leads thru the back of headlight casing.

While this is simplest, it is not prototype. The headlight represents an oil type, which had a vertical glass chimney inside enclosing the burner. But to do this, the headlight needs to be removed for machining. I doubt I'll do that on mine, because I don't want to mess up the paint, either.

Larry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, Thanks for the good idea. I wanted to make a self containrd lamp for my C-16 which has a similar headlight. I found that the headlamp was completely sodered together-- inside and out. You would have to desoder just about every piece to fit in a battery. I gave up on the project.

Don

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Unfortunatly I didnt take any photos during the headlamp modification. I took the headlamp off, then flipped it over and removed the two screws in the bottom to remove the bracket. Pop the metal retainer ring out around the glass lens. take needle nose pliers, grab the fake bulb in the center of the cone and snap it off. look at the bottom of the headlight, there is a plate soldered across the bottom. Put some heat on it to break it loose. Dont worry, the screws you took out earlier will hold it back on. Drill a 1/4 inch hole up thuogh the bottom thru till it comes up inside the cone. Take a dremmel tool and make a small cup at the back base of the headlamp. this is for the wires to come out. Find a flash light that will hold a single led where the bulb goes, and the mirrored cone from the flashlight that will fit inside the factory reflector cone. I canabalized a mag lite to get the correct size for the 4-4-0. The wires must be Teflon coated to resist heat. Take the whole front off the smokebox. remove the funnel. Remove the brass heat deflector and white insulation. drill a hole between and forward of the mounting screws for the headlamp bracket, one on each side, so that it is hidden when the bracket is reinstalled. Paint a piece of 1/8 inch K &S tubing black and put it under the boiler to one side, tucking it into the fake firebox, so the end is off to the side of the hole under the smoke box. route two wires tthru the tube and into the cab. out the front of the tube route the wires thru the farthest back portion of the smokebox, following the inside walls up to the holes you drilled under the headlamp brackets, up thru the hole you drilled in the headlamp. Use ample wire length, so you have room to work, cutting the exess later. Where the wire comes thru the rear of the hole in the bottom of the smoke box, fabricate a heat shield roughly shaped like a tee out of sheet brass. Tuck this in so it covers the wires where they pass thru the hole. Put the white insulation back in so it covers the wires inside the smokebox, and reassemble brass shield and smokestack. Put the front of the smokebox back on. Assemble the headlamp and bracket, leaving the glass lens out. you should have your engine all back together with two wires hanging out the front of the headlamp, and two wires hanging out of the cab. Slide heat shrink tubing over the wires, solder led to wires. cover bare metal at back of led with the heat shrink tubing. Get a battery holder from Radio shack for two AA batteries. You can get the LEd there too, white with yellow glow. Leds are funny, so chechk your polarity to the led by touching the two wires from the battery pack to the two wires in the cab. If it lights, heat shrink and solder. If it does not light, switch polarity of the two wires, it should light. Low tech switch is just pull out one battery and it will shut off the circuit. Now that the Led is lit, go back to the headlight. You may or may not need to file the back side of the plastic cone you robbed out of a flashlight for it to fit inside the factory cone. Poke the led into the back of the cone, push the cone into the headlamp, reinstall glass with retainer ring. All Done!
Regards,
Tim Hytrek

Hi Tim,

Would you mind elaborating on the process whereby you installed a working light on your 4-4-0? I have the Mogul with the same headlamp and havent been able to figure out the best way to achieve this. Any info, supplies, process and pictures that you could share would be most appreciated. I am just afraid of ruining the lamp by making a terrible mistake.

Regards,
JT

Jeremiah
=========================================

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts