G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve Speck, Tom Burns, Dennis Cranston, Bill Courtwright and Art Gibson met at John Frank's
this morning to do a little clean up work for John on his railroad. John as you know had recently undergone bypass surgery and needed a little help in cleaning up his beautiful groundlevel layout.
Afetr we finished, Tom Burns brought out his Accucraft 4-4-0 to run. He had added R/C and one of the Bark Box chuff enhancers. He used one that was made to fit the C-16 and just put in the smoke stack. You judge for yourself how good it sounds.
I als added a little video of thanks rom John. Did not get it quite right but will try to do better next time.

Youtube has done some changes. I apologize for a couple of glitches.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Thanks Art for those videos. That engine sounds great. I want to thank everyone that came over to help with the clean up. It's hard to imagine vegetation growing that much in just a month, but it was over the track in many places and the grass was almost a foot high. I could never have done it by myself. I don't think I will be fully recovered until Fall. At least now I can keep up with it I hope and run something when I feel like it.

For Charles, Jeff and Steve, did you notice how sloooooow and how smooth that engine runs??? And it's just a cheap old Accucraft.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Hey John, the best part of the day was seeing how well you are doing. Now, for me to "Eat some crow": /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif That was a smooth running, great looking Accucraft engine. And yes, it is running this way right out of the box. The chuff enhancer has to be seen to be believed. You could hear the engine's beats in the front yard!!

Art, half of the fun is watching you take movies. :) Thanks for doing such a great job.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
John
Glad your health has given you the opportunity for the wealth of Accucraft knowledge from the experience of another steam up. The one aspect denoted when the engine was running slow and then given full throttle was the sound of blow by. The other aspect is proportion of the boiler to the overall scale: too big. As denoted by others along with an examination with Jay of a 4-4-0 the final chapter has yet to be written on the "smooth" running operations of this model.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Charles, you have to admit though, that it is nice to see that John is feeling well enough to be calling us out...........:):D:):D:)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Steve
Without a doubt. You probably notice as I did the low volume of high quality post when John was not available to contribute to MLS live steam. Seems he has fully recovered I wish I could say the same for Accucraft's heart of the matter- QC for the long term. Case in point, great response by Cliff and Accucraft to the smoke stack issue but the cross head problem...well, thanks to Gordon the fix will keep the engines going until the next long term issue.
Wonderful to have John and Accucraft back on track promoting live steam!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Charles on 07/11/2008 4:21 AM
Steve
Without a doubt. You probably notice as I did the low volume of high quality post when John was not available to contribute to MLS live steam. Seems he has fully recovered I wish I could say the same for Accucraft's heart of the matter- QC for the long term. Case in point, great response by Cliff and Accucraft to the smoke stack issue but the cross head problem...well, thanks to Gordon the fix will keep the engines going until the next long term issue.
Wonderful to have John and Accucraft back on track promoting live steam!

Charles, thanks for the encouraging words. It's a long road back. We still highly regard your critical analysis of any product and hopefully they will help the manufacturers to continually improve their products. :)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
John
Ws just returned from a steamup. An Accucraft 4-4-0 was on the schedule for several run. This one has had it's cross head replace. I have to say it was impressive with highly successful runs as is. Maybe I can appreciate the moment, closing my mind's eye to the potential problems. Many people in the audience were impressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts