G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, me and ig finally got Rod Blakeman to carry out a r/c conversion on our Accucraft NG/G16. It had been running just fine, and I know the old adage of not fixing anything that ain't busted, but a. I'm getting old and running after even a pretty slow Garratt is a mite ungainly with the remains of two ankles, and b. there was always the passing chance that something dire would happen to it pretty soon, as has happened to many an owner of the first run models.

As it transpired, there WAS an unseen problem that was in need of a fix - the steam pipe to the front engine had a passage-reducing kink in it, and was, without doubt, holding up a lot of valuable steam. So that was replaced - you can see the whole works, including fast and slow air tests and two short steam tests here -

http://picasaweb.google.com/wpandyr/TacSGarratt

As I already had a 2.4GHz Futaba digital system for my four other steam locos, I stuck with that for this one, Rod using high-torque metal geared servos to do the work.

Rod also installed the #80 mesh burner silencers - a gift from the generous Gordon Watson [Thanks, Gordon - I've passed on most of the other sets to other Accucraft owners].

I won't get to steam it myself until I go over to mainline131's track in a week or so, but I'll be more than happy if it performs like his does after Rod's attentions.

I still love the loco to bits, and, as I say, I had not noticed any problems in the 18 months or so that I had had it, but that d*mned 'steering wheel' surely did get in the way of the throttle, and being basically lazy, the idea of r/c on THIS particular loco had great appeal.

More and longer vids will follow on YouTube.

Best to all

tac
PS - I DID mean to type AccUcraft in the title, but my jet-lagged fingers wouldn't let me...

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Terry
This conversion might be a guiding point to doing the AC-11 set-up for RC running. Thanks for the photos and insight.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean that after all these years I've actually posted something useful? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Wow.

Better not make a habit of this, or folks will start thinking I'm Mr nice-guy.

tac

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Tac,
Never doubted the Mr Nice Guy image. Aways thought that everyone else was out of line.
As a special treat I include a couple of pictures of your Garratt that I took today....Mine was the one that was steamed, yours has the welsh flag round the chimney!
Looking into your cab you can see how compact the RC is and of course...no 'steering wheel' anymore.
Rod Blakeman's mods. make them terrfic engines. Lets double head with 100' on plus the heavy crane.
See you soon

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heard last of 3 batches soon to arrive with retrofit corrections. Anyone getting one and can someone post pics of the changes? Or know what the mods are?

Tac,

Heard burner mesh is a roll inside the burner tube. Better than outside mesh wrap? I have 40 mesh outside and still get noise.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Mr 8hack - Gordon Watson was pretty clear about how to fit the silencers - roll the #80 mesh up tight around a pencil and tie it with a piece of sewing cotton. Position it inside the burner and withdraw the pencil, leaving the mesh inside. The cotton disappears the first millisecond you fire it up.

I have the one set of mesh and the front engine flame trap guards left if you wants it - please pm me if this is the case.

Can't let this sudden Mr Nice-guy rep fade away now, can I?

tac

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trevor - what a hero you are!! Many thanks for the piccies - they have now gorn all around the world, literally - US coast to coast and Japan!:D

As for the other thing, well, pshaaaw is what I says to that. ;)

Looling in front to seeing you all again at Mainline Thurnby soon!

t & ig

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rod - OT, but I have found a TON of movie on my camcorder of your beautiful RhB compound over at mainline131, running in both compound and simple. I have just ordered the dedicated Sony i-link to enable me to download it onto my lap-top, and will be doing so as soon as ever I get it.

Youtube will then have it to show!

Best graders

tac

·
Registered
63 Posts
Posted By tacfoley on 07/28/2008 4:48 AM
Dear Mr 8hack - Gordon Watson was pretty clear about how to fit the silencers - roll the #80 mesh up tight around a pencil and tie it with a piece of sewing cotton. Position it inside the burner and withdraw the pencil, leaving the mesh inside. The cotton disappears the first millisecond you fire it up.
I have the one set of mesh and the front engine flame trap guards left if you wants it - please pm me if this is the case.
Can't let this sudden Mr Nice-guy rep fade away now, can I?
tac

Tac,
Thanks for the info. I'm ok for mesh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts