G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you unfortunate enough to know me, I tend to babble. Anyways... I sit here tonight at the desk, looking up at the top shelf, over-whelmed with joy. Once where an Accucraft Big Boy 'sparkie' sat, is a lil tiny 0-4-0 black Ruby #1, purchased as a kit.

A year ago I opened it with excitement, and with over anticipation, small pieces popped off the cutting board on my lap, which is my only work surface, and bounced into places I can not reach.
After a few more bouts of creativity, (And a few emergency replacement parts, shipped promptly with out question by Cliff. Thank you very much Cliff!) it is finally finished. It became a redemtion project to my girlfriend, who wanted her own train. Though the Ruby was purchased earlier, I knew it was now hers. She has put up with so much of my crazy steam fixation (aka Addiction), I owe it to her!!

With great shame I admit, this Ruby is only one of two projects I have truely finished. The first being a white metal casting I painted of a maiden in distress, lashed to a post, with Fire Breathing Dragon bearing down on her, while a lone knight stood in certain death to defend her honor. I found that kit and fell in love with it, I was determined to finish it. And when I finally did, I sat there looking at picture frame in time, and wondered, "How did that one turn out? I will never know. Then I gave it to my best friend at the time, who was truly able to Grok it's importance to me. (wow, was it really over 17 yrs ago? DAMN!) As I say, I tend to babble.

Any ways, Ruby sits here on the shelf, in all majestic glory. She is after all, live steam!! And in that there is no wrong. I am proud.

Karen came home from work tonight as I was finishing the final details. I finished the cab, re-read the section on setting the excentrics (That sounds like ME!!), and made sure everything ran smoothly. Once Ruby was finished, I placed it on the shelf, and Karen went to look at it. Right away she was pointing out things she wanted changed. It needs a 'cow catcher', and a better stack. Man, I was so wishing I had gotten an Ida, then I thought no. The Ruby can be altered. In the bottom of the Ruby box was an article I printed off MLS, by Dwight, when he added RC to his Ruby #2. Thanks Dwight!!

So, we're off to New Hampshire for Labor Day Weekend, to our first real steam-up. I got my start in the giant live steam, and imediately my mind went way over my head. SA is very fitting. Anyways, this will be our first one together, and we will actually have something to fire.

We are so very looking forward to Labor Day Weekend. In the meantime, we're off to Washakum next Saturday. I hope I can spend all day the the station switch like previous years, watching all those people loving a steam train. Watching their faces, and the nods from the engineers as they pass, My child knows no greater joy. WOW, I can't believe I cried as I typed that. Now I know it is time to signg off. G'night all.

Thanks to all of you, for the wonderful support, ideas and enthusiam. We'll let you know how Ruby does over Labor Day.

And most of all to Karen, you get me, put up with me and I love you!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Kent,

" The family that STEAMS together STAYS together " !! Congratulations on the project. My Mimi was like that , over a year and now I consider it done too. Lots of learning and many changes later it is unique and truly reflects my own ideas.

Charles M SA# 74

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Any ways, Ruby sits here on the shelf, in all majestic glory. She is after all, live steam!! And in that there is no wrong.

That sums it up, I could not agree more! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kent-

Congrats! I took over a year to assemble my Ruby as well. Now you get to go through shakedown and get the Ruby broken in and adjusted so she's operating as best as she can. That was a lot of fun for me- I hope you and Karen enjoy it as well!

Dean

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Kent,

Great post!! Congratulations!! I need to finish so many projects! My live steam loco is still upside down on the worktable. Where it has been for several months. Bind in the valve gear, likely caused by a misalignment in the cylinder mounting... ugh. And then of course, the Mallard's servo motor has crapped out again. Makes me want to forget live steam altogether.

Mark

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Work bench Mark? You have a work bench? Man, I'm jealous. Who do I need to know to get a work bench? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif I know there will be a small piece of apartment wall opening up soon, where I can park a little 3' x 2' table. Perhaps I'll have to get a small tarp to cover it with, when not in use, since it will be in the middle of the living room.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Kent,
Do you think that you might be able to find an old used-but-usable roll top desk? That would give you a decent size work space and you could protect/hide your projects by rolling the top down when you are not working on your models.
Llyn

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Kent,

LOL! What about getting a small folding table, maybe even a card table and using that. We have an old folding table that has adjustable height (OK, two settings), but its only about 2' wide, and maybe 5' long. Here's one, not quite exactly the same (this one is better!)

See what kind of ideas we put in your head?!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Llyn,

That was a great idea. I actually have been looking for one. The problem I find is the desks that sit high enough to allow my knees to clear using a wheelchair, tend to be expensive and antiques. I did find a smaller student rolltop desk, I couldn't get under it. Should you see one, let me know.

Mark,

I have looked at those folding tables. The problem is five feet would take up too much space. My "permit" is for 3' :D However, the idea of purchasing those folding legs and adding it to a home made work surface would be great. I've seen that same thing done for portable raised LS tracks.

And in closing Mark, regarding these ideas you guys put in my head. The jury is still deliberating. I'll keep you posted on the final verdict. I hope it isn't dead-locked. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts