G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the summer... August to be exact, remember when Chris Walas, Scot Lawrence and others were discussing who was going to make the "World's Shortest Steam Locomotive." There were a number of images posted but this seemed to be the desired model.

Well, if you check the post.... No one took the challenge at that time. Soooooooooo..... I decided to try my "skills" at it. Because I have been associated with Mister Walas for a number of years, a bit, just a bit of his wonderful talent may have rubbed off.

Searching for a place to start, I found a box of parts in my train shed that looked promising. (I think most of us have a similar box of stuff) I know Marty does.

Digging deep in the box, I came up with a derelict Hartland 0-4-0 body which showed some real promise.

After some cutting, trimming and bashing, the body started to look like it might work...

The next step was to find a suitable drive for the single drive axle. Just so happened that I found an Ebay selection that included a number of kitbashing items. An old, stripped Aristo-Craft 0-4-0 drive was part of the treasure.

The cutting began on the drive to make it a single axle drive. The frame was cut and one of the drive shafts was cut off. A number of other modifications turned it into the proper drive so it could be mated with the lower portion of the Hartland frame.

A few more modifications, trimming, cutting and hammering the thing went together with some indication that it look like the original drawing.

As I got this far with the project, black just didn't seem like the color for such a "different" locomotive. The paint scheme was changed to a little more lively white and red, some custom decals added and she looks a bit more like a classic. Note the added interest in the number.

Most of our locomotives and bashes are battery operated and I really didn't have a lot of room in the body to put batteries and R/C. Sooooooooooo..... enter one very specialR/C Battery car. Even though this Bachmann combine way too big, I had something in mind for the solution.

The combine was completely disassembled and some of the parts were taken to the chop saw while others felt the blade of a razor saw.

After more fitting, sanding, filing, hammering and gluing, the pieces fell togther on a single Bachmann passenger truck to look like this.

Some paint, grab rails, a battery and an Aristo-Craft HOTE receiver mounted under the shell, made this a very nice little battery car.

I added the rear railings from a Bachmann observation car which included a drumhead. I wanted the drumhead lighted when traveling in both directions so I added 2 white LED's with reversing diodes which will allow that to happen.

The finished coach with custom decal detail, lettering for the Prescott Short Line (pun) and a little humor in the numbering.

Locomotive and coach from the side....

And from the rear.

It is a real nice runner using the 14.4 volt Li-ion battery and the Aristo-Craft HOTE as the controller.

Chris..... Thank you so much for your encouragement, your support and your help.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Aw, Stan, you've done it again! I know you like to blame me for your creations, but this one is all Cedarleaf! You have no one but yourself to blame for this one!
That is one cute train.. and really short! The loco is wonderful by itself, but coupled with the short car it really completes an image! As usual, you've done a great job following through on a good idea. There's not enough fun modeling going on here lately; maybe this will inspire a surge of shorties! Hmmmm, I smell a competition brewing!
Chris

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Stan, Great job very impressive. Hmm, you have .5 and .25, what are you making to bring it to 1.0? Congrats

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Way cool Stan, I like!

I should breed your Shorty with my Oscar and Piker, we could make a mint on the puppies

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Guys and thanks, Chris.

All you guys and MLS have been a real inspiration from the day MLS "went on the air". The free exchange of ideas, compliments, support and general goofing off has been wonderful. All to promote this fabulous obsession we call Large Scale Railroading.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Stan,
What a great bash...you really captured the flavor....but....the numbering is the pièce de résistance....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Awwww shucks....I would have thought you would have named the little tag along "Li'L Dewey"
But it is a snazzy little train!!

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, thanks guys..

John, you tried to warn me about Chris but I didnt' believe you. See what kind of a monster has been created. He's very good at creating monsters....

Be careful, Dwight.

Would we want it any other way? Nope....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts