G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
No I don't have a thread, yet I should get one going. All of my material is currently printed in ABS, I only use a file/ and or dremel for smoothing, also some of the paints I have used have worked well to hide some of the layering. I know that there are some chemicals that would be effective, but have not ventured into that aspect mainly due to the fact that how these projects were the details are so small I was afraid the chemicals would erase the details as well as the ridges.

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Understood WC. I'm glad you're getting the finish you need by filing and dremeling.

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Gorgeous Richard, and looks like she's almost done!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
The Library where I 3D print has three Makrbot 2's and a Makrbot 5. They are too expensive for me to buy one ($2100 or so for the M2, about $2800 for the M5). They print pretty nicely with their proprietary OS. I've done replacement train and building parts, some industrial lampshades for LEDs, replacement signs, arches retaining walls, and two railroad buildings: a small station and a trainman's shanty. Knew nothing last April. Learned Tinkercad. Now a volunteer at the Library 3D lab.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Dick, those types of coops are opening up all over California. Nice to see you belong to one. Are there any dues required or service fees on the machines.
WCRR152, I'm going to put a motor in either the tender or one of the passenger cars so that I can keep all the detail prototypical on this 3D model. So it will look like it is pushing or pulling some cars, but it will just be along for the ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am really interested in 3d-printing but I don't know which to buy - this one seems to be cheap. What do you think about this model https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086YWKRDJ/?tag=craftyhg-20?
David,

What are you looking to print? I am looking to get a filament printer and one thing I nearly missed was comparing the build volume to the type of item you want to print. While there are workarounds in gluing up prints for strength I would prefer to print one piece parts.

Right now I am leaning towards an Creality Ender 3 Max.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
I also wonder if David293 is a real person, as only one post and the link doesn't seem to take me to a specific 3D printer!
Correct me if I am wrong David293.
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also wonder if David293 is a real person, as only one post and the link doesn't seem to take me to a specific 3D printer!
Correct me if I am wrong David293.
Cheers,
David
I just haven't managed to find the right thread to ask it. I am more than real;)

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Oh, good.
Welcome to MLS then David293.
Sorry if I doubted your existence!
The problem, if it is one, with 3D printing these days is that the methods, systems, and choice of printers is ever changing.
As Rick said, decide how you want to use the printer to determine its size, and then what type of printing technology you like to look of and do lots of research.
I started with, and still stay with, filament printing because that's what I can understand and has allowed me to modify my printer to print the size that I need.
Good luck in your quest.
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Junior Senior Member
575 Posts
The link took me straight to this printer:

SainSmart Kumitsu KL9 Resin 3D Printer UV LCD Printer, 8.9-inch 2K LCD, 3.5-inch HD Color Touch Screen, 120mm x 192mm x 250mm Large Build Volume

Just for information.

·
Registered
48 Posts

SainSmart Kumitsu KL9 Resin 3D Printer UV LCD Printer, 8.9-inch 2K LCD, 3.5-inch HD Color Touch Screen, 120mm x 192mm x 250mm Large Build Volume

Just for information.
With a resin printer you also need a washout/hardening unit so add that to the price. Personally I'm waiting through the next couple of generations for this style. Right now the filament printers seem to be maturing faster. The modular style makes for easier incremental upgrades. I'm hoping the interface software improves to being able to change/upgrade the source code without using a Raspberry Pi.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
The Library where I 3D print has three Makrbot 2's and a Makrbot 5. They are too expensive for me to buy
As Dick says, your local Library may have a machine or two. Why not go and see them, ask around, and you will probably get some more opinions. There are also 'clubs', if that's the right word, that provide printing for you.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts

Just for information.
For me the link goes to Amazon Canada, and shows pages of 3D resin and stuff, but no such printer.
Maybe not available in Canada.
It's sometimes very confusing with Amazon US and CA being the same, BUT different.
Cheers,

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can recommend the printer I use. It’s an Ender 3 pro. It prints 220mm x 220mm x 250mm. Prints PLA right out of the box. For ABS I got a glass bed from my local glass company. I also built an enclosure. Simple PVC pipe. I did upgrade the main board to a quiet one. Better drivers also. I routinely do 40hr prints. It’s modular and can take most replacement parts. So $199 for the printer and $35 for the board. 2 glass beds were $15. You can actually use a cardboard box for the enclosure. It’s just to keep the heat in and drafts out. I make my own bed adhesive by dissolving 200mm of ASB in 3oz of acetone. Paint on 2 coats while the glass is heated. It’s been a real workhorse for me.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
You never know for sure!
Just do a lot of cross checking between sites, and the youtube people who test the printers.
Also, WHAT is available where you live.
Are there any 3D shops where you can see a printer in action to get a good idea if it is for you.
Or maybe there is a 3D group close by that you can join.
Cheers,

61 - 80 of 80 Posts