G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's a 2 inch pipe cap glued to a 3 inch speaker.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm kindof wishing I'd shortened it just a bit before I glued it on:D

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
How much of a difference did it make? I tried putting tupperware that fit really well over my 3" speaker and I didn't like the sound as well as with it off. But I have heard others say this sort thing makes the sound better. Maybe I should try the PVC. In any case, great idea, simple solution and pretty cheap too. Nice!

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
In my other hobby I'm a bass player. I do usually at least one gig a week.  Enclosure design is a big deal and the subject of all sorts of voodoo and science, especially for bass frequencies. There's a tradeoff between efficiency and low end response, between volume and efficiency. The usual argument bass players get is "you can have any two of the following--small size, volume and low frequency responseâ€"but you can never have all three at once." Cbinets designed for good bass response are often vented or ported; the ports are often tuned.

I thought a lot about the enclosure when I stuck a sall scale railways soundcard in an LGB mogul, and then I thoguht "probably there's some guy out there who has redesigned a cr to be the perfect speaker enclosure, except it wouldnt be perfect because different people want different things...

I just closed it up and ran it!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Another way to create an enclosure that I have used successfully is to use a cheap foam coffee cup, although it's not as stout as a PVC cap it does allows a little adjustment (squashing)... ;) ... afterward, and the acoustics are great. :)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I attached it with bathtub caulk, I peeled it back off, took out my dremel and shortened the cap. The whole office was covered with white flakes of PVC and the janitors are wroth with me.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I didn't, but I'm thinking I should have.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm. With everything wired up, it distorts pretty badly at really low volume levels like the annoying transistor radio some idiot would always bring to camp when you were a kid. It's a 1w speaker 'cause the 3w one I wanted was out-of-stock. Maybe I'll look around for a better speaker.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the guy I know who deals in little speakers is closed on Sunday/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif

(I'll try him at lunchtime today.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts