G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a nice dusting yesterday, actually a sort of soft hail rather than snow. Thought you might like to see it. Note how those moss sprigs stand erect in the snow; neat stuff. They stand up even to hail and hard rain.

Just a note for beginners taking snow shots with those digital cameras...
Hold the camera towards the darkest object, push the shutter button half way down to lock the exposure, back outwards to where you want to shoot without releasing the button and then push the button the rest of the way down to take the photo. Be just as steady as possible and don't use the zoom unless absolutely necessary. The old SLR users already are familiar with this.

Happy snow shooting! :)

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Wow, Richard, that looks fantastic! The "snow" makes your models and your layout look really lifelike. Great stuff.

Because my ex-boss/friend now lives on Bainbridge Island, Washington, I follow the weather there and was surprised to see that you guys got cold temps and snow. That's almost like Buffalo, which is why we live in So Cal. But then, I don't have a huge piece of property with a serious garden railroad...

Happy holidays, in case we don't "chat" before then.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Richard,

Nice shot. BTW, what is the total length of your railroad now?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Fantastic photo. Really captures the the RR as a true to life one. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Richard

Your usual wonderful modelling and some great photography.

Pretty soon you will qualify as a winter time engineer for the IPP&W! A very Merry Christmas season from all your friends in the OVGRS - where there will definitely be a white one!

Regards ... Doug

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was wondering when we would see some of the snow pictures from you NW folks. Nice shot and agreat RR. I wish I was that talented, your RR looks great elevated and kept so nice. WHen is TOC going to show off his snow pictures? Oh amd lets see some more pictures. You need to throw some cross country skiiers into that scene :)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks friends for the kind comments. It's a lot of fun shooting scenes in the rare snowfalls around here. Especially when you can shoot ground level without getting your knees & elbows wet. hehe!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a couple of other shots taken on the 14th also. Everything's pretty much melted now so I can't take any more snow photos until next time. Subjects you've seen before but maybe still of some interest in view of the wintery environment.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
As always the thing you really get right is the relationships between the buildings. They just look right in relation to each other, like they were built where they were for a real logical purpose. Building great looking structures is one thing (one thing I can't do) but getting them to look right in site and in relation to each other is another. That's an art

1 - 20 of 29 Posts